Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I've noticed lately some of the threads in the XaraX forum and the XaraX Graphics forum get really long because of chit chat.

I have no real problem with this except when it is in an on going subject that already has mega graphics that take a long time to download. i.e. the New challenge in the XaraX Graphics forum.

There have been several such long subjects lately that I don't have time to view because they started out with many graphics then turned into chat sessions.

Not all of us live in big metropolitian areas with fast access, and even some of us actually live in countries that have none of the above no matter where we reside in that country.

So how about a chit chat forum, no graphics allowed just for the fun of it?

Just a country gal in the woods.

Judi

My Stuff

and this suggestion has been raised before...I guess it doesn't fly due to the fact that it's involvement with the graphics that brings on the communication or "chit chat", as you call it, that is both on topic and off topic at times. I have to deal with a modem and slow connections just like you...but it doesn't seem too bad---the forums were slower in the past few weeks for some other reason, but are apparently back up to speed again and moving right along. The text loads fast---the graphics are what really are slow. Even if there were a forum just for discussions I'm not sure it would get used---the test forum could be used for that, but you see it rarely is...as the graphics which get things going aren't there as in the other forums. The length of threads varies widely and there's no way to predict which way topics will go---often it is surprising, this spontaneity is interesting and leads to creativity.

The "chit chat" is more meaningful to some than to others, it's hard to please everyone all the time... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] part of what makes these forums so "friendly" and welcoming to new users is the fact we do share and it's not an antiseptic or business-atmosphere place...people feel they can express themselves and it's worthwhile too. If you don't like the things others have to say then, as was decided upon by the moderators and many here, just ignore it. The current threads don't look to be any more "chatty" than threads of the past...take a long look at some of the older threads, infact...novels have been practically written !!! Ross even had a good one going that could have been a screenplay!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (Pretentious...). It's just too hard to rule out all chat---and I don't think it would be a good idea, personally...I've never been one for censorship even if I didn't care to hear some views...and not all things can be wrapped up in two sentences. I don't think there's anything wrong with replying to others comments on works, offering ideas, comments, brain-storming ideas, or visiting with others you enjoy and expressing support for them, their work, or just being "human" towards others...it is part of why these forums are different---and are better than many that just die on the vine. No communication often spells non-involvement and tends towards being pretty boring pretty fast.

Just my thoughts---if they'd give us a forum for it it could be tried, but I have a feeling they would say we already have one (the Test Forum), and like I said, it doesn't work because the action is elsewhere and that is what gets people involved and want to be involved...and that involvement is partly what makes this place special.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=3121905805
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Judi,

I think what is needed is for TG.com to (if it can be done) predefine the size of the incomming grapichs - thus as the pictures come in they do not force the text down and down.

Like you I have a slow connection. So I tend to read the text as the pics are coming down. but as the pics appear the text is scrolled of the screen making it hard to read the text.

Apart form that suggestion I think a separate forum would not work - just my view.

Turan

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

there is a solution: if you use the Opera browser (http://www.operasoftware.com) instead of the MSIE, you can turn off pictures and graphics. There is a free and a registered version. Opera is very fast, stable, easy and small on the hard drive.

I've suggested a chat room for real time chats several months ago, but apparently there wasn't any interest at all, so I closed down the site. Chat is fast, offers DDE file transfers in the background, private rooms etc. Would have been great, even with the different time zones we are located in.

Conclusion: if you will use Opera, we don't need a separate chit chat forum ;-}

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

No chit-chat forum....pleasssssssssseee!

I was about to post a reply saying that you can turn off graphics in IE by going into Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and uncheck "Show Pictures".

Having just tried it, and about to post my findings - the "post reply" button had vanished as it was a graphic! Maybe switching off the graphics isn't a good idea unless you don't want to participate in the forum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you don't like the things others have to say then, as was decided upon by the moderators and many here, just ignore it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said anything about not liking the things being said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've never been one for censorship <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I said nothing to indicate chit chat should be censored or not allowed. If I gave you that impression I apologize. I just thought an area created just for that would be nice. A place where people could get to know one another better.

You are probably right it wouldn't work. Maybe I'll try out Opera so I can participate more.

Judi

My Stuff

Here is my idea: Title - OFF TOPIC SUBJECTS

The word SUBJECTS implies that you need to specifically name the subject you want to discuss, in the subject line of your new thread.

Off Topic Subjects are those that are not related directly to graphics or web design. This might be the best title, and posters could title their threads with the subject they want to discuss. Examples: New Pickup! The Philosophy of Aesthetics. Photo Quality Printer? Help, Hard Drive Installation Problems! What is your philosophy? Green chile recipes. Do you like Enterprise? New film about September 11. Are Pentium 4's worth the price? New Book about dinosaurs.

If it needed a general title, like The Scoop, Xara, etc., it could be NON-GRAPHICS, GENERAL SUBJECTS, or something like that, and be at the bottom above the TEST forum.

I would like this kind of forum, and no one would have to visit it if they didn't want to.

Anyone else have an idea for the name of such a forum? Not CHIT CHAT, please!

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif
    Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

[This message was edited by Dale Landry on June 13, 2002 at 11:10.]

Gees, those topics sound like fun!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] The question is, would it be possible to get such a forum??? Does anyone know if it's even possible to add another???

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=3121905805
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

We can just use the Test Forum.

I'll put one on there to start things off.

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif
    Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll