Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Erik, I couldn't agree more!

My monitor had been running happily at 1280x960 for nearly two years and I loved it. But since I recently installed Win 2K Pro and updated my video driver I've lost that option! 1152x864 doesn't really make the best use of my 19" screen, but I've never liked 1280x1024 because of the vertical compression you describe. I've been told it's possible to hack the registry to restore the resolution I liked so much, but I'm reluctant to mess with it without knowing exactly what I'm doing. The extraordinary thing to me is that it's 1280x1024 (with its oddball ratio) that's regarded as the 'standard' resolution rather than the 1280x960 that makes so much sense to you and me. So, if anyone can throw any light on the whole thing or let me know how to safely restore my favourite resolution, I'd love to know...

<ul><LI>Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450
    <LI>Creative CT6971 GeForce DDR 32 MB[/list]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

PS Perhaps we should start a new thread for this and leave this one for comments on Sheff's site?

PPS Resolution thread!

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on November 27, 2001 at 15:16.]

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on November 27, 2001 at 15:27.]

Eric,

since I use a TFT, it does not give me much choice about the resolution, but the "optimal" which is 1280 x 1024.

After reading your post - and because I did not have any compression/distortion, I measured the screen with a ruler. It is 36 x 29 cm, which makes it have a 5:4 ratio.

Compared to my old 17" CRT that stands beneath the ratio is visibly different. But I never thought much about it until you argued.
    Seems that I actually DO learn something new each day ...

Wolfgang