Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ..NOAH SEALTH..

Hybrid View

I just love it...I don't care what you named it, it is a wonderful piece of art. Have you given any considerations to doing some prints? I'll take one (if I can afford it), and I don't even have a southwestern home, guess I'll have to remodel a room anyway. You could name him Chief Running Xara for all I care (Chief spelled correctly).

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Look, Bill, what I really meant to say was that sometimes you just come over as trying too hard. Tempting as it can be (for all of us!) to keep trying to explain everything at length all the time, sometimes it's just best to hold back and let things be.

For what it's worth, if you'd simply presented the image as one inspired by the story that inspired you, without incorporating the name and quotation into the artwork (yes, I know it was part of the whole concept), I think your stance on 'creating' and your 'own visual interests' might have made a lot more sense. But I can assure you that I have read your posts carefully and can usually see where you're coming from &#8212 it's just that (and don't I know it from bitter experience?) sometimes trying too hard can only make things worse. (Think of 'the lady doth protest too much' from Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 2!)

No, I don't want to see you hounded from the forums (I'm not like that, believe me!) and I don't believe anyone else does either. Sorry if I came on too strong, but please just think about it some more, Bill.

All the best [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Bill, you I would never imagine someone older than my father who is a complete "non-copmputer" man is actually using one of the best and still quite a small and unnapreciated tool called Xara to create so many great designs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

An hey that walking near the edges always brings Catcher in the Rye back into my memory.

I'm just 25... 25 years old people should be creative, energetic, bursting with ideas.. I must admit that I'm none of these... bwah ;-). I wish I had your perspective.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And hey forum people, don't take the web too seriously. It's not a real communication. You would never say what sometimes say here if tou were standing just in front of you looking to your eyes. You wouldn't even have chance to talk that much as you sometimes do here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Roman

Last night, when I watched Bill react to Bruce's post, (but refrained from commenting), my feeling was that Bill was too defensive, that it would have been better if he had just accepted Bruce's attempt to educate him and said "thanks for the information".

BTW, Bruce, do you think the Suquamish of WA state are the same as the Squamish band we have in the Vancouver, BC area and northward? I didn't realize they extended so far south... I guess our national borders created an arbitrary division of what was a very large band.

a great picture Bill. The character you have drawn is very strong but I especially like the way you present your work -its very striking.

Brian

I learned that the Squamish Indian Band, as I know it, is a 1923 almalgamation of 16 Squamish speaking villages in the region from Vancouver to the Squamish River, including the lower part of the Sunshine Coast, where I live. (I didn't know that). They pronounced it "Squ-HO-o-meesh". They are actually a Coast Salish peoples, and I believe the Suquamish of WA are also. They probably spoke the same language. But apparently this was not a closely organized group, prior to the almagamation. It consisted of many distinct villages.

Hey Bill
    Nice image but you really should do some research before posting these kind of things. Noah Sealth was his christain name. He was more well known as Cheif Seattle from the state of Washington. No where near the Souix people. On your image it says that He was a Cheif of the Souix. The Souix people are from South Dakotoa. A long way from Washington. His real name is "si?al". He is from the Duwamish and Suquamish Tribes.
    http://historylink.org/output.cfm?file_id=1406
    I have done a lot of reading on the Souix people and I never heard of this Cheif. There is also much controversy as to whether si? al ever gave this speech or not. It seems to be a big hoax.
    http://www.urbanlegends.com/misc/chi...nt_speech.html
    The well known chiefs of the souix would be
    Crazy horse.
    http://www.indians.org/welker/crazyhor.htm
    Or Siting Bull
    http://www.indigenouspeople.org/natlit/sittbull.htm
    Altavista.com is a good search engine and will help you in your future research.
    http://altavista.com/
    Now you know the real story.

[This message was edited by Bruce Stawicki on July 21, 2001 at 22:46.]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

...no less

Here is a historical figure of whom I enjoyed reading about so very much! I've never seen any photos of the very valiant man,so I don't know
    what he looks like. So, I just created an Indian
    with the noble qualities that were dipicted in the historical article.

The complete discourse is overwhelming...because
    he brings to light that he had seen solidiers
    killing buffalo with longguns,from the train as it
    passed through the open plains..he says to them..
    possibly he didn't know what he was taliking about because..."I am a savage". Wisdom of an eagle...

I really enjoyed doing this one...

walk softly at the edges..."Wild" (my new handle they gave me) bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Annex> May I say to ALL,especially any American Indian whoever, that this piece of artwork that I did totaly from my mind does in no way portrays in any authentic way the personage here shown. If in ANY WAY someone may be offended by this figure,whom I whole heartedly wanted to reflect the beautiful, human qualities of the person of NOAH SEALTH. If the information I used to base this figure on is inaccurate, this is of course something else to be considered. I did not or will not take issue in those regards. My intent I feel has been, by some, to have been completely misconstrued. Those who are reading the piece correctly have commented with that understanding.
    So,by the advice of the Moderator I place this annexrd comment..hoping to "walk more softly at the edges". Thank you. William R.Cleg

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 22, 2001 at 17:58.]

Risto