Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

I remember reading here about this before but my search is not turning anything up.

My problem is, for some strange reason, that when I import a graphic image of any format Xara X1 upscales it by 1.33 or 1.35%

A graphic that is supposed to be 9pixels becomes 12.2pixels. Also 20 becomes 27 and 150 becomes 200 and so on.

I never used to have this problem, but I don't know what I may have done to cause this behavior now.

How do I fix this without having to uninstall/reinstall?

Heeeeeelllpp! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    The BEST is good enough!

Now I know why I buy just about every Xara product that comes out and also purchase each upgrade when available for all those products.

It's because of you Charles and the willingness of Xara to listen to user/customer needs.

Please keep the toggle option in mind since a global setting with the ability to turn on and off this functionality would satisfy the most situations that could ever come along.

Thanks Charles and Thanks Xara for a wonderful product.

Thanks also for taking the user community ideas seriously. There is a wonderful diverse group of XaraX users here and they all have a lot of great ideas and suggestions. I'm proud to be able to type with these guys and gals once in a while. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

I know it must be tuff to decide what goes in the next release and what must wait or be discarded. I don't envy this task or those involved in these critical decisions.

Keep up the good work! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    The BEST is good enough!

Default Re: I'm stumped! Image import scaling issue.

OK guys. This is puzzling.

Here I have this simple logo which is 256x256 pixels in size.

http://www.comptoir-hardware.com/ima...eader_logo.png

I open it in Xara P&G Designer, put some things on top of it like text or the like, and then I want to export it at 1:1 pixel size ratio.

First of all, I can't seem to make Xara show that icon at 100% on the screen. At 100% zoom ratio, it is much too large. At 66% or so it seems about right. But why is that, and how can I set Xara up to show imported bitmap images at 1:1 pixel resolution on the screen?

Same question when exporting. How on earth can I save a modified bitmap e.g. as PNG such that one pixel in the exported PNG matches one pixel in the original bitmap?

Regards David.P

Typically for this type of thing, I import the image(s) into the Blank Photo document type.

That icon is 256 x 256 pixels. When you import it, just click on the page. Don't resize it. It exports out at 256 x 256 pixels. Pixels have no size to them. Unless there is DPI information stored inside, most Windows applications assume 96 dpi and place it accordingly. Which makes your sample image 2.66" in diameter.

In the end, all that matters is pixels, not DPI.

following on from what Mike said..

I opened your image in both xara designer and photoshop [both at 100% zoom] and they are the same size on my monitor as the image link you provided [viewed in FireFox at 100%]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare logo.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	100636

now xara will export this image at 256pixels/96dpi the same size/ratio as it was imported at - and if you view it then at a different dpi it will look a different size

it may be that you are viewing it in software afterwards that displays it at 72dpi [100% zoom] - in which case you need to appreciate the difference: xara displays at 96dpi [100%zoom], and work accordingly - [72dpi would be about a third bigger as you report, 256/72 being a third bigger than 256/96]

also if you are viewing it on two different monitors that are not set to the same windows resolution and or are manufactured to a different 'dot/LED pitch' - well that of course will have an effect too

the options\view tab\ bitmaps [in the middle] may be useful to you, there are three options - the first to resize large photo's is the default and it may cause you grief with larger images [it's a web-design thing], the second option is better for you I think: 'import all photos at 96 dpi [1:1 at 100% zoom]', whereas I have mine set on the third for preference...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view tab.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	100637s

OK, I found that my copy of that logo:
    http://666kb.com/i/clqvgbv559zov8fdr.png

...actually had an internal DPI setting of 72x72 which for some reason made it import and export at a size of 341,6 x 341,6px instead of its original size of 256 x 256px.

The logo linked in my above post however has no internal DPI set and imports/exports correctly at 256x256px.

However, both versions of the logo are still displayed much too large (and therefore garbled) at 100% zoom in Xara.

Thus, two Xara drawbacks remain in my view:

1.) It is not possible to simply import, edit and export bitmaps at their native pixel size regardless of a dpi setting they might have; and

2.) Bitmaps are shown at a wrong size on the screen at 100% zoom (at least when the Windows dpi settings are not standard, like in my case at 125%, which is more and more common with todays higher resolution screens.

Below screenshot shows shows the whole matter.
    http://666kb.com/i/clqwdxdudy5sypj33.png

Cheers David.P

Yeah http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Thanks Judy.
    I havenĀ“t spent much time trying to found the reason, i just rescale the image inside Xara X but now that you explained that, it makes all sense, since when we export from Xara the dpi setting will interfere with image size.

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

No, I mean the resolution of the file you are importing. Changing the auto generated option I believe only pertains exporting.

Ooops we posted at the same time.
    Are you saying that this behavior is normal and it's due to the original dpi of the source image?
    YES

When importing bitmaps Xara X honours whatever size the bitmap says it is.

Many bitmap formats (JPG, PNG, BMP, etc.) contain enough information to give them a "real-world" size. E.g. a bitmap that is 216 pixels square and whose resolution is given as 72dpi therefore has the real-world size of 3 inches square. (216/72=3)

This is useful when the image really does have a real-world size, e.g. when you've just scanned something at 300dpi, you really want it to appear on the Xara page at the exact size it was when you scanned it. (If your page units are set to inches or millimeters the reported size of the bitmap will then make perfect sense.)

But it's not so useful when your page units are pixels because, unless the bitmap is 96dpi (the same as Xara X's definition of a pixel), its reported pixel size will not be the same as the actual pixel size of the image.

E.g. the example 3 inch wide bitmap above will be reported as 3*96=288 pixels. (Note that 288/216 = 1.33...)

So you see, you will find the current behaviour correct if you think a Xara X document is mainly about paper and incorrect if you think its about pixels...

Phil

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

It happens when you import or paste a graphic in anything other resolution than 96 dpi