Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: eye chart

Ever since I learned how to magnify things, I can't seem to stop drawing eyeglasses, magnifying glasses etc.

I gave the eye chart an aging treatment and the metal part of the eyeglasses was bevelled.

I didn't give a background to this image to let the imagination wander.

As usual comments are welcome. I post pictures here so that comments help improve my art.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocul.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	12118  

Ever since I learned how to magnify things, I can't seem to stop drawing eyeglasses, magnifying glasses etc.

I gave the eye chart an aging treatment and the metal part of the eyeglasses was bevelled.

I didn't give a background to this image to let the imagination wander.

As usual comments are welcome. I post pictures here so that comments help improve my art.

Looking good, Jean Guy.

What if the glasses were very dark glasses, such as are worn by a blind person or one who spends too much time at the computer without taking eye breaks :-)

Also, I seem to remember the text on the eye charts I have seen is in CAPS, sans serif text, squarish, and about a book weight. And the first letter at the very top is larger and usually an E.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    beehive or elm bust</A>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Further to Gary's comments re: eye charts. The most traditional type used in North America for adults is known as the 'Snellen Eye Chart'. How did I know that??? (The mind is a terrible thing to waste - I do waste most of the capability in mine).

I did a quick search and found an example. Here is a pic you can use for reference if you are so inclined.

Eye charts tend to be standardized because each design requires considerable testing. There are many standard designs including interesting ones for children and illiterates. There are even ones for testing binoculars and camera lenses.

Note: If you are paranoid you will see messages in the eye charts. Messages put there just for you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I like the glasses except the nose pads seem improperly located and adjusted for an exceptionally wide nose.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

As I do this for the fun of magnifying things, I won't make the glasses darker. As for the fonts used and appearance of the chart, I will change that. Ross' comment made me realize I don't do enough research before I draw.

Sometimes I use a model (real life or photo). Sometimes, like this time, I do it from memory or out of imagination.

But if I wan't to draw things realistically, I'll need to know how they look and for that there is nothing like research when I don't happen to have a real life model.

BTW I don't see any personal message in the chart [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Jean-Guy,

I expected something like a map of the iris here ;-}

Anyway, I like that one!

Ross,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Eye charts tend to be standardized because each design requires considerable testing. There are many standard designs including interesting ones for children and illiterates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. The German and Spanish charts look totally different - maybe they are similar to the ones for the illiterates!

The messages in the Germans charts is:
    'The Doc is excited to receive a big check very soon'.

And if you should need glass bottom type glasses, the message reads: 'Tilt. Game over. Get out and purchase an excellent guide-dog'

And, last but not least, if you read white type on black background, the message reads: 'Visit a photolab soon and have your negatives developed'

Weird, I know, but only because I belong to the last two categories ;-o

Have a nice weekend!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I thought about it and I like the irony of "the blind and the eye doctor".

I might do it some day. Dark glasses on a Snellen Eye Chart. Ironic.