Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Dan here.
    Hey all, just asking... My situation is that i am developing a site for a local "funk" band, the site is 99% complete, i a just iffy about finding a web host, this site will never need more than 50mb, and someting reliable and inexpensive is dang, hard to find?

I see like most of you designers have your own site, what servers did you choose? are they reliable, FTP? it's foreign to me so i am just curious...

// Any help would be just great! Hey also, i just picked up a EPSON PHOTO STYLUS 810, fan bloddy tastic picture quality, especially for us vector users! Borderless printing makes the most out of photo paper, good value.

Dan here.
    Hey all, just asking... My situation is that i am developing a site for a local "funk" band, the site is 99% complete, i a just iffy about finding a web host, this site will never need more than 50mb, and someting reliable and inexpensive is dang, hard to find?

I see like most of you designers have your own site, what servers did you choose? are they reliable, FTP? it's foreign to me so i am just curious...

// Any help would be just great! Hey also, i just picked up a EPSON PHOTO STYLUS 810, fan bloddy tastic picture quality, especially for us vector users! Borderless printing makes the most out of photo paper, good value.

for Web Hosting and you will get a staggering list.

I use a company (in the US) called BizLand.com that I am very happy with. But I am sure you can find a good and inexpensive web host in your neck of the woods. I pay about $6.00 US a month. There are some cheaper and lot more, more expensive ones. Price is no indication of a good or bad web host.

Just check out the sites, and see what each offers and see if the site looks professional. Then e-mail their support people with a few questions and see how fast they get back to you. You want a host with live bodies who check in from time to time :-)

The good thing about hosting a domain name site is if the web host is no good, or goes bust, you just move your files to a new host and redirect with the domain name registrar to the new address.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

We use Communitech for hosting(www.communitech.net) and we are very happy with their service. Their support services are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They are based in the U.S (Kansas City).

You can get a starter virtual server for around $150 a year which is 100mb of space. However, the starter server package doesn't support databases or e-commerce. You would have to get the next one up for that sort of thing.

We use software for FTPing which is actually called FTP. Made by Ipswich (www.ipswich.com). For commercial purposes you will need the professional version (WS_FTP Pro) for which you buy the license, we can't remember the exact price but it wasn't expensive ... around $40.

But like Gary said there are a lot of different options out there.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Since its a Local band, why not support your local economy and find a local hosting company.

Let your fingers do the walking and call around.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

i've found http://www.123ehost.com based in Canada and very very good support 24/7 like you'se said!

Anyway, be good if not good at it...
    dan the man

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

maybe I'm jumping in too late, but you might check

http://www.highspeedweb.net

US$ 99/year setup fees, no monthly charges, full blown LINUX or NT server. Includes cgi, perl, ftp, frontpage extensions as an option - in short words: anything you might consider in the future.

Ahem, yes, I'm a partner of that corp, so you can always contact me if you have a question.

We host some 12.000 servers there, 24/7 support, live tech support etc. Check the specs and I think they'll give you some brainwork ;-}

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I host the Xara FAQ on Powweb

$7.77 a month

250 MB Storage
    250 POP3 Email Accounts
    Yourname.com
    Online Community
    25 GB Transfer
    FrontPage 2002 Ext.
    WebStats SSL, MySQL, PHP4
    Member Operations 99.7% Uptime
    24/7 FTP Access 2 Months FREE