Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Ok, ok, I know there are probably better places to ask this question, but I use Xara X everyday and I check this forum out a few times a month.

Here's my problem. I have created a gradient in Xara X that cannot be duplicated with Flash 5's limited toolset. So now I need to import it as a bitmap (.bmp) and when I import it into Flash, it is very small. Like the image shrinks from 183px by 275px to something like 132px by 212px. Very strange. (Note: You cannot successfully save gradient images as *.swf files.)

Off hand, does anyone on this list know the
    default DPI for Flash 5? I know Gary did a tutorial that involved Xara and Flash but I can't seem to find it.

Thank you!

Wild

Ok, ok, I know there are probably better places to ask this question, but I use Xara X everyday and I check this forum out a few times a month.

Here's my problem. I have created a gradient in Xara X that cannot be duplicated with Flash 5's limited toolset. So now I need to import it as a bitmap (.bmp) and when I import it into Flash, it is very small. Like the image shrinks from 183px by 275px to something like 132px by 212px. Very strange. (Note: You cannot successfully save gradient images as *.swf files.)

Off hand, does anyone on this list know the
    default DPI for Flash 5? I know Gary did a tutorial that involved Xara and Flash but I can't seem to find it.

Thank you!

Wild

Yes, it is true that Flash will not handle the complex gradients (3 color, four color, conical, and bitmap based fractal or plasma) - I work with Xara X and Flash 5 every day and I still find it much easier to create my artwork and complex linear gradients (chrome, cylinders, etc) in Xara X and then bring them into Flash 5 as .swf files.

On the sizing issue, here's the trick...
    Files coming into Flash 5 from Xara X are 75% the size of your original. This was explained in one thread that basically said something like "because Flash originated on the Macintosh platform (which uses a different pixel base) it does not match up with Xara X (which is entirely Windows based)" - whatever...not a direct quote...

Anyway, here's what I do... bring in your object as .swf. In Flash 5, select all the objects you just imported and hit CTRL-ALT-S. That will bring up the SCALE and ROTATE window. For SCALE percent type in 133.33. That will bring you either dead-on or within .2 pixels depending on the size of your import.

Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Your instructions were prefect. I only wish I had known about this at 8 pm yesterday so I could have gotten a better night's sleep.

Thanks again!

- Wild

Ya gotta love these forums! Good job wfcentral.

at least I think it is.

When you know you are going to be using the drawing in flash, go to utilities and set the scaling factor to 96dpi(drawing) and 72dpi(real world). It will then export at the same size.

Mickie

Thanks Mickie,

I remember the scaling issue coming last time the Xara to Flash was discussed but I couldn't get the scaling to work right. I gave it another try and now it's dead on...

I had been trying to put in "96dpi" instead of just "96" and "72"

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0