Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

After installing the X demo as Administrator logged on to the PC and the user logs in, the program says he does not have enough rights to run the program. I have tried this on two NT machines with same results and need an answer. All other programs I have installed work fine and it is not a rights issue as the user has full control. Please help!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

After installing the X demo as Administrator logged on to the PC and the user logs in, the program says he does not have enough rights to run the program. I have tried this on two NT machines with same results and need an answer. All other programs I have installed work fine and it is not a rights issue as the user has full control. Please help!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

rkwright4,

install XARA X from the CD for 'every user', and the problem will be solved. BTW, is there any reason why you don't log in with admin rights on your machine? You can set up your own account as a power user with admin rights...

Give it a try.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Installing from the CD would be fine if I had the CD. Just purchased the full program but in the meantime while waiting for a CD my users need to work on Xara X. It seems as I have no choice but to put my user in as a administrator on the PC in NT. I will look at the registry key.

Thanks for the input!

Robin Wright

I have another variation here!

After uninstalling the 1.0aa download I installed the CD version 'for every user' as administrator and everything seems to run as expected - EXCEPT that normal or power users are prompted for the CD Key EVERY time they run XaraX [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] when the key is entered it is accepted and the application runs as normal - until the next application startup.

The original admin user is prompted for the CD key only once.

Barry:

I'm running W2k SP1 and Installed X as Admin and sign on as a poweruser and everything works fine. I would try uninstalling, and make sure all the registry keys have been removed and install again. What SP do you have installed?

Dave Zubrowski
    Dave Zubrowski

Hi,

There are a number of issues with the CD key and the demo version of Xara X when Xara X is not run as an administrator (or power user). This is because Xara needs to store the information about the CD key (for the CD version) and how long you have been using the program for (for the download version) as machine wide settings. For security reasons, Windows NT/2000 do not let applications change system wide settings when run as a standard user (who is not a power user).

rkwright4: The current Xara X download does not support running as non administrator (or power user). We are considering ways of fixing this situation in future downloads but it is likely that Xara will still require that is run as a administrator before it is purchased.

Barry: To store the CD key, Xara needs to be run with enough privileges to store settings that are visible to all users. This means that to store the CD key, Xara has to be run at least once with administrator privileges. After that, the CD key should be stored for all users. If this is not the case, please email me and I will try and research the problem some more.

David,

I'm running NT4-SP5.

I'd already tried uninstalling and removing registry keys but I'm not sure that I removed everything. Where in the registry would the licencing entries be stored? I couldn't see anything obvious except under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ ... \XaraX for Administrator and this was removed.

I'm afraid I'm stumped and have taken up Jonathan's offer to investigate futher.

Barry

Jonathan has come back with a quick response. Unfortunately the news is not good. He writes ...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have set up a NT4 PC with the same service pack as you and I can confirm
    that Xara does have a problem reading the CD key when run as by other than
    the administrator. This is due to a minor oversight on our part whereby
    Xara requests more access to the registry than Windows is prepared to give.
    Oddly, this problem does not occur on Windows 2000 set up in a similar
    manor. Unfortunately there is no good way of fixing the problems you are
    having using the current version of Xara but the problem will be fixed in
    the next version which should be available soon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah well, it looks as though I'm going to be learning the CD Key of by heart shortly.

I'm intigued by the comment on W2K, but this is not the place to pursue it.

Barry