Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fill 'er Up?

Paul,

Delete the top figure and your individual shapes are below.

So with Ken's original question, if he made a copy of the lines before adding and breaking then deleted the top figure after breaking, he could paste his lines back and use whatever line color he pleased.

Mickie

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Paul - As Mickie writes: you have to delete (or pull aside) the thing that looks like a big filled shape with lines sticking out from it. What is left behind is all the shapes - they will look as one because all the fill colours will be the same. I edited the colours of those shapes, applied a bevel to them all, grouped them and added a drop shadow.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

OK, Ross and Mickie, what do you guys do - continually monitor for posts??? You both answered within just a few minutes of my post. You guys got alarms that go off when someone posts to a thread you posted in????? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This has got to point back to my noviceness (thatta word??). I bet if I understood exactly what happend when you add and break shapes I would have guessed this.

In any event, I got it now and thanks for the speediness of your replies!!

Paul

Gary

Just tried your suggestion in CorelDRAW 9 and it works great [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Paul - Never sweat not knowing how to do something. I've been using Xara for years and until I saw it in this thread I didn't know this was possible. When I say that had I known about it - it would have been useful: It is a understatement. This technique could have saved me hundreds of hours over the years. I often import .wmf lines from autocad and always had to draw all the shapes all over again. I will be experimenting with this technique latter tonight.

With regards to always being here lets just say there are benifits of a cable modem - it is always on. And remember "rust never sleeps!"

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross,

I have supported (briefly) ACAD but never actually used it.

Even so, for future reference, let us know if and how well this technique works on .WMF files.

Thanks.

Paul

Are there any limitations to this technique?

I ask because I thought when I read it that it was an "answer to my prayers". Yet when I try it on the picture below, I get all sorts of "random" filling.

So, either I have done an intermediate step that now prevents this from working the way it should (this is more than possible) or the drawing is too complex for the technique.

At any rate, what I wanted to do was to use the drawing below as a stained glass window design. It is a celtic drawing of a cat/mouse and I thought it would look great using the techniques described in Gary's stained glass tutorial.

Given recent incredible posts on wood carving I suppose I could "carve" it into a medieval board <g>.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celticcat.gif 
Views:	646 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	11246  

MAN, this is a great, great, great tip. Like Ross, I sometimes need to work with .wmf files exported from CAD and GIS, and this is just nifty.

Let us know how your experiments go, Ross!

Sorry for the tasteless mess I made of your cat,

but I downloaded your image, traced it, converted it to editable shapes, ungrouped it, and selecting shape after shape I could fill them.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat.gif 
Views:	590 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	1552  

perhaps this technique won't work with imported line drawings just original lines produced within Xara?????

I assume Ross will will be able to help define this issue after his experiments.

Paul