Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi, I just purchased Xara X yesterday after playing with it during the free trial period.

I'd like to find someone who could give me some one-on-one tutoring in order to get a good foundation.

I think the tutorial and tips will help AFTER I get I get my feet wet.

Is there any one in the Atlanta area with some teaching skills that might be interested in this? I was thinking in $20 per hr. range (and/or maybe some bartering?).

Thanks and Happy 2003!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Blessings and Peace.

Hi, I just purchased Xara X yesterday after playing with it during the free trial period.

I'd like to find someone who could give me some one-on-one tutoring in order to get a good foundation.

I think the tutorial and tips will help AFTER I get I get my feet wet.

Is there any one in the Atlanta area with some teaching skills that might be interested in this? I was thinking in $20 per hr. range (and/or maybe some bartering?).

Thanks and Happy 2003!
    Blessings and Peace.

I've not come to the Xara Conference before so I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds, but I just have to suggest that the Xara Xone tutorials are the perfect place to start.

I spent so much time looking at the tutorials and saying "too advanced for me", the problem with that is that Gary writes them for all levels.

Once I started going through the tutorials, I found that I look at a new idea/project in a much better way before I start and I have found that my skill level is growing in leaps and bounds!

I really think if you try to do a tutorial a week, you will find yourself astounded at how much you learn and how quickly.

that's my 2 cents worth, I hope it helps :-)

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF XARA!!

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the Welcome.

And thanks for the input re: the tutorials. Maybe I should move up my purchase date of them. But, I don't have any sort of computer graphics background. See I don't know Corel Draw or any of the other graphic software programs.

Example, I haven't been able to figure out how to fill in letters created with hollow fonts with different colors. How do I fill in the letters of words done in the Amphion Outline font? I can change the black outline color but how do I change the white inside part?

I guess if I can't find a tutor, the tutorials and this forum will have to be teacher but maybe there's a Xara X guru next door who is the world's best teacher.

Hey, its a new year, now's the time to be optimistic. :-}

Blessings and Peace.
    Blessings and Peace.

but I can help you with the fill thing.

OK, you have your work area open in Xara, good.

You've got your font on the screen? Good, take the zoom tool (mangifying glass on the left side tool bar) and zoom up to about 500%, now you can see everything much better. Now you can play with the colors and fills. For colors klick on the paint bucket, also on the left side tool panel and up on the far left hand side you will see a pull down menu with all sorts of options. Flat fill will give you one color, conical, eliptical circular etc...will fill the object with two colors (default "other" color is white, which you can change as well!!) and then there are 3 color fills and 4 color fills and fractal cloud and plazma fills for creating some pretty cool effects!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

OK, so that's a partial run down of the pulldown menu, there is more but your head is probably spinning right now.

One of the easiest ways is to take your cursor and go down to the color palette on the bottom bar and left click, hold it down and drag it to the font. If you point it onto the line and then release it then the line will change color, if you point it onto the font white area then release it then the color will fill that area.

If it's a hollow font though I don't think you can force it to fill, you might want to select a non hollow font because, you guessed it, you can change the middle color from basic black to what ever your hearts desire as well as the line!! AND if you have a filled font then just go down to the far left bottom corner and you will see a box with lines through it, click on that and the font will become hollow, pretty neat, eh?

Try all that out, gotta go, my client just walked in.

Good luck and WELCOME to the wonderful world of XaraX!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on January 02, 2003 at 18:42.]

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on January 02, 2003 at 18:46.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

When I started with XaraX (a little over two years ago) I was a complete newbie to computer graphics. Following Gary Priester's tutorials on the XaraXone taught me how to use the tools in Xara. Each tutorial is very easy to follow, and the webxealot explains each tool in detail.

I'm not in the Atlanta area, but I might be tempted into making the trip there for a star quilt ;-)

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You don't have to buy the tutorials - they are all available free on-line at the XaraXone.

Buying the CD just means you dont have to download them.

Any questions you have will happily be answered here (probably in 6 different ways).

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Hello Scout!
    And welcome to Xara Forum, like Ramwolff and Soquili and Tims says the Tut. from Gary Priester are very helpful to start in Xara.
    About the Amphion font,i do’t have this font, but
    if you want to fill font like this, you need to clone the text and convert the clone text to Shape,ungroup it and delet the Parts you do’t need,with the rest from another Shapes, you can fill what you like with Xara fill effekt.
    Ido’t know, i took another font and tried with this, please tell me if that what you mean.Iwell post the Image
    Thanks
    Lord...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amphion_outline1.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	11547  

I am home from work now and took your file and made kind of a tutorial out of it for you. Hope it's helpful. I had fun making it!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---