... called "football" all over the world...

It is only Americans that THROW a ball around the field and still call it football...

... all this was a great mystery to me... until I went back in time in a time-machine that I built out of an old toaster, some canadian beer bottles and a pizza box...

Here is the scoop (You may quote me):

In 1770, outside Boston, the British Captain Edgar Humpme decided to cheer up the troops by putting together a 'football.'

He did not have access to cowhide so he used the skin of a raccoon instead. But as you all know one raccoon does not make a ball...

Anyone who has ever kicked that ugly thing on the ground knows that you just can't kick that bugger unless someone else is keeping it upright for you...

... Well, let's just say that the game got really ugly until someone decided to throw the football instead...

That one initial game that Captain Humpme started went on for years... It was a very chaotic time amongst the British troops... and it eventually lead to American Independence in 1776.

In celebration of Independence the game has been played ever since... as 'football.'

226 years later... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!