Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic,

I've been getting spam emails with the title "dslfirewall," claiming that they have a tool for eliminating worms. I strongly suspect that this email is a worm or virus itself. I use a special email program and Mailwasher, so I don't have to worry about being attacked by Outlook-type viruses or worms.

There are two attachments with these messages. I have recieved two of these today, and ATT usually filters spam very well.

Anyone familiar with this?

I am doing a search on it and checking in at Symantec next.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I've been getting spam emails with the title "dslfirewall," claiming that they have a tool for eliminating worms. I strongly suspect that this email is a worm or virus itself. I use a special email program and Mailwasher, so I don't have to worry about being attacked by Outlook-type viruses or worms.

There are two attachments with these messages. I have recieved two of these today, and ATT usually filters spam very well.

Anyone familiar with this?

I am doing a search on it and checking in at Symantec next.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

everyone who isnt in my address book gets sent to my junk mail folder. I scan this to make sure it isnt someone i know and press delete. works great for getting rid of things like what you are gettign [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

About 90% of the mail I have been getting of late is SPAM and of that about 1/3 are virus infected. Any subject line that contains HTML words like bordercolor or end row or other HTML terms, and is 20K or bigger, dump.

Anything that claims to have a virus solution or patch, dump. Anything that has Klez in the subject dump, etc.

I use MailWasher which was highly recommended in this conference several months ago, to check my messages on my ISP's server before I download my mail. You can mark any SPAM or suspected messages for blacklisting which sends the message back to the sends saying your address is not valid. Eventually the more businesslike spammers who purge their spam lists remove you from their mailings.

Rule of thumb, if you do not know who the message if from, don't open it.

Many viruses now are activated when you open the message, even if you do not open an attachment.

And MAKE SURE you have virus protection installed and MAKE SURE to update your DAT files at least once a week.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

yes father [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I also have been using Mailwasher for some time, and I do NOT use Outlook. My email program also allows viewing messages without opening them, and I almost never open messages anymore. (Mailwasher allows previewing also.)

Does anyone else have an attbi.com address, and have you been suddenly getting a whole bunch of spam messages?

AT&T has been wonderful for filtering spam; I almost get NONE, just an occasional item from Ebay or PayPal. Suddenly I am getting 2-3 a day.
    I guess it may be time to start up a new address!

I notified AT&T, and got a generic customer service B.S. email, telling me how I can take responsibility for the spam and viruses. Typical no-responsibility ISP.

I updated my Norton Anti-Virus and scanned my whole system to make sure.

- Lewis Carroll

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I got on an Asian list somehow, I think it was from signing a "guest book" a while back and started getting between 10 to 30 spams (makes it worse when you can't even read what is being sent to you) a day plus all the sex, money making and all that kinds of spams. I got tired of it. Even using MailWasher I was not able to get things headed in a more positive direction. So I got a new address, but it's a pain getting all that set up and mailings out to new folks, which of course are all suspicious of an address they don't recognize so they are deleating the notifications thinking they are more spams. So then they call you and tell you that they get their mail bounced back to them, and I have to say that I had changed addresses, then they are all.....ah that's what that one was!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It was a crazy loop for a while!!

Now with my new address I keep MailWasher close by at all times. I then went out and created 2 other accounts. One account I use for all my web buisness stuff. and the other one is for use in all the graphic based stuff. Then the main account is for my personal stuff. It is more spread out but my personal one is one I like and can remember easily and I don't want to loose that one any time in the near future. Hence the 2 other accounts and that has worked out really well. AND I DON'T sign guest books any more!!! I figure if one of the other 2 accounts gets all spammed out I can change those easily enough with out a huge mailing!!!

It's the way that works best for me.

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://www.imira.com/Album/photo.asp...0810&ImgType=0
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I've gotten four virus-laden emails in the last 2 days, so I think it's time to ditch the old email address. Mailwasher is OK to use, but I hate getting a bunch of crap email that I have to sift through.

I won't post my new email address on my TalkGraphics Profile, nor anywhere else on the web.

I stopped signing guest books or giving out my email address on websites a long time ago.

The first email address I ever had is just a repository for spam now. I probably get 50-60 spams on it per week, and nothing else.

Unfortunately, it is necessary to start over with a new basic email address now and then. I have one email address that has never gotten any spam in 3 years, so I give it out to only my close personal friends.

- Lewis Carroll

might be that most of us have our e-mail addresses on this site.

There are e-mail bots (seriously) that go though the web collecting e-mail names and addresses which get added to spam lists which get sold to idiots who think they will get rich quick.

A word of caution. Even opening a message on MailWasher that has an embedded automatic virus, can infect your computer. Every so often I preview a message only to have Norton Simon Anti Virus inform me it has quarantined a message.

I even had this happen with a Mailer Deamon returned message. Scary.

Even supposed targeting lists are virtually useless. I friend of mine, purchased a list of one million people who were supposed Flash users for a mailing he was doing for a Flash helper product he was marketing.

I think he might have gotten a dozen sales from the million messages and the list cost him $2,000 US.

Of the SPAM I am getting now, about half is from Korea and Japan. You can tell if you look at theh extension at the end of the sender's e-mail address jp and kr.

One tip to cut down own this is to modify your e-mail address in your profile replacing the @ with at,, so it would be garyatgwpriester.com.

Of course most people will not notice that and wonder why their messages never got sent.

it is a mess.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

You would think not giving your address out would keep you from getting spammed, but even with my university account, which I gave out to _no one_ I'm getting viruses _bounced back_ at me, as if I sent them. (Which is not possible, considering I have NAV which is always up to date, and can't send mail from my university account from home.)

No matter where you go, you can't escape spam...