Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all,

I can't seem to figure out how to change a brush color so that it will draw with the line color selected. I have tried playing with the settings on local color (tried all options) but whenever I click a different line color, the brush still draws with the default color. If I select a brushstroke and then click on a new color, then that line changes color, but I want to be able to set a color and draw with it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Hi all,

I can't seem to figure out how to change a brush color so that it will draw with the line color selected. I have tried playing with the settings on local color (tried all options) but whenever I click a different line color, the brush still draws with the default color. If I select a brushstroke and then click on a new color, then that line changes color, but I want to be able to set a color and draw with it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Hi Eky,

To set a default line colour, without having anything selected right click on the colour you want. A dialog will appear asking if you want to set the colour as the default, see the attachment.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attrib.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	9499  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the suggestion, Soquili. I wasn't getting that dialog box before because it was unchecked by default. Your suggestion works for the regular line brush, but it doesn't seem to apply to any of the other brushes. How would I get the water color brush to paint in red, for example? I can't seem to be able to do that.

Thanks.

Hi Eky,

I've tried to get the custom brushes to retain the new line colour also without success. The only workaround I've found is to draw using the default settings for the custome brush and then select the lines I want to change and then right click on the colour I want.

If anyone else knows of a better method, Eky and I would really appreciate being informed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Unless the brush settings allow colour changing you cannot change it. If you want to retain the colour when you have changed a brush you would need to re-save it as a new brush using brush edit.

The standard custom brushes would need to be edited in the template that actually loads them to retain the change permanently.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

I emailed Xara customer support with my question. First, I must say I am impressed with the personal and timely response I received from their service representative. The response was that currently there is no way to change a brush color before applying a stroke. The workaround would be to draw with a brush stroke, change the color, then save as new brush (for colors you use repeatedly). It would be a great new feature to be able to set a brush's color before applying strokes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I can't seem to figure out how to change a brush color so that it will draw with the line color selected. I have tried playing with the settings on local color (tried all options) but whenever I click a different line color, the brush still draws with the default color. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the conference eky

Select a brush shape with nothing else selected. Instead of trying to set the color at the same time. Click on the screen with the pick tool. Now set a new line color. You should wind up with a colored brush stroke.

This will only work for one session however and does not save with the document and does not become the default for the next time you create a new page or open a new drawing.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Sever So Humble...

One workaround to this problem is to draw a small bit of a stroke, set the line color, then add to the end of the existing stroke, the mouse pointer will show a "+" sign when you are about to add to an existing stroke.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd