Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

It really is me. I have had to reregister until I can get my old password from Xara.

I visited F**kMicrosoft.com and learned some very interesting things about Microsoft.

Microsoft does not delete files you delete. Nor does it delete your web surfing visits, searchs, e-mail, cookies, and just about everything else you thought was safely removed from your computer.

It keeps most of this in hidden files that do not show up even if you specify Show Hidden Files in Windows Explorer.

Coincidentally, I was wondering why my year old 80 GB hard drive was already half full. My largest folders were not more than a Gig or two.

I purchased a product called Window Washer that can delete these files. You can selectivly delete your old cookies as well. (Except I must have also deleted the cookie that tells the conferences it's me).

I ran Window Washer and my used disc space went from 39.2 GB all the way down to 18.2 GB!

Is that incredible or what?

Now here is a really scary scenario.

What if every time you connect to the Web with IE, Microsoft is sending bits and pieces of this cashed information to Microsoft?

I feel like I no longer own my computer and it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Gary

It really is me. I have had to reregister until I can get my old password from Xara.

I visited F**kMicrosoft.com and learned some very interesting things about Microsoft.

Microsoft does not delete files you delete. Nor does it delete your web surfing visits, searchs, e-mail, cookies, and just about everything else you thought was safely removed from your computer.

It keeps most of this in hidden files that do not show up even if you specify Show Hidden Files in Windows Explorer.

Coincidentally, I was wondering why my year old 80 GB hard drive was already half full. My largest folders were not more than a Gig or two.

I purchased a product called Window Washer that can delete these files. You can selectivly delete your old cookies as well. (Except I must have also deleted the cookie that tells the conferences it's me).

I ran Window Washer and my used disc space went from 39.2 GB all the way down to 18.2 GB!

Is that incredible or what?

Now here is a really scary scenario.

What if every time you connect to the Web with IE, Microsoft is sending bits and pieces of this cashed information to Microsoft?

I feel like I no longer own my computer and it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Gary

I have also used WindowWasher, and it is a very good product. I used to reinstall Windows once a year to clean out all the crap, but using a cleanup utility has made that unnecessary for a few years now.

There is a freeware utility called "Cleanup!" available at ZDNet that is almost as good as WindowWasher. It is simpler and not quite as configurable as WindowWasher, but it does the trick with a little fooling around. Just be sure to NOT use the strongest setting, as that will delete your bookmarks! A demo version of WindowWasher is also available through ZDNet.

I found a surprising source of accumulated junk in C:\Windows\LocalSettings\Temporary Internet Files. I got rid of nearly 6 mgs of junk from that one file alone. (Cleanup! didn't touch this file.) Cleaning this out will slow down your internet brownsing initially, but it will speed back up as you visit your favorite sites.

Cookie trick: Set up a folder in My Docs called My Cookies, and move your forum cookies and password cookies in there BEFORE using your cleanup utility. After cleaning up, move those cookies back into C:\Windows\Cookies and you won't have to start over again with new cookies.

By the way, whoever recommended AI Roboform, thank you! It is one of the best utilities I have ever used. It works flawlessly to one-click fill out forms on websites (without spyware).

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by priester:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If that's the case then you need to look at the way you use your computer, because using Windows Washer and gaining 21GB!? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by priester:

Gary<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A case to be made for using an alternative browser such as Netscape 7.

Joel

hey uh Gauss... Gary implied "used disk space", to which Gary indicated it went down from 39 to 18... for which now his used space is but half of what it was... sounds bout right to me... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have never used IE nor Outlook, nor any part of MS Office. Only the system (Win2K now). Netscape for my mails and browsing or using this forum, but I dyslike Netscape 7 launch AOL Instant Messenger at each time I launch Windows (Who has an idea to remove that?), and Sometimes Opera for browsing.

Friendly,
    ivan

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

to use Linux to get rid of the MS monopoly.

Really. I'll post a screenshot here the next days. It's just one word: GREAT.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ivan louette:
    I I dyslike Netscape 7 launch AOL Instant Messenger at each time I launch Windows (Who has an idea to remove that?)

Friendly,
    ivan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also use netscape 7 for my browsing and email...To stop instant messaging from launching and to shut down alot of the other stuff that runs in the background you need to use the system configuration utility.

1. From the start button click run, or press the window and r key
    2. Type msconfig, this launches the utility
    3. Press the start up tab
    4. Uncheck Mozilla quick launch
    5. There is probably a bunch of other stuff here you don't need running in the background...a few thing you do need, however...
    6. Press OK, your system will now restart...when it reboots you will get a dialogue box....I forget exactly what it says but you want to check the box so it doesn't come up the next time you start your computer.

Joel

[This message was edited by Joel Schilling on January 25, 2003 at 14:57.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gidgit:
    hey uh Gauss... Gary implied "used disk space", to which Gary indicated it went down from 39 to 18... for which now his used space is but half of what it was... sounds bout right to me... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gidgit, am I missing something here? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Yes, he said used "disk space" 39GB, and after using Windows Washer it went down to 18GB, means like I said that he gained 21 GB (of free space).
    How can all these cookies, temporary windows files, temporary internet files and redundant files that were deleted in total be 21GB? I'm talking about 21 GIGA Byte! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
    No offense Gidgit, but how can you call that about right? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

[This message was edited by Gaussian on January 25, 2003 at 17:52.]