Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate clipart

Hybrid View

Is it just me or do others *absolutely loathe* the clipart & templates bundled with MS office and other apps? Type in 'England' on the MS clipart and what do you get? Beefeaters, red buses, London bridge, Big Ben and so on. Is that how they see us?
    I also hate the templates that come with some DTP apps...whimsical calendars with puppies or insert a picture of your granny...barf! Letterheads and flyers that look like they were designed in the 80's. Photos which were obviously rejected by the photographer. The only way to be sure to be original is to design your own! [Thank you XARA X]
    The reason I say this is because of the comments made recently re. The non-pros [myself included] moving in and doing there own stuff.
    Just thought I’d vent my spleen at the amount of "different but the same" crap flying around these days.
    Any comments?

Eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I'm probably showing my advanced age, but anyone remember the British show "On the Buses" back in the late 60s or early 70s? It was too funny.

Bryan

Egg, if you really like Patricia Routledge in "Keeping Up Appearances," you'll be pleased to know she is an excellent, classically trained, singer with a marvelous voice. We have a KCET store (our local PBS) that sells VHS tapes and DVD's of all of their shows. We also have a program here in LA called "Classical Arts Showcase" that runs midnight to 6:00 a.m. They feature shorts from all areas of the arts: dance, opera, Broadway, television like old Ed Sullivan guests, excerpts from movies, etc., and they showed one of her performances. After hearing her "real" voice, her tone-deaf singing on "Keeping Up Appearances" is truly a great bit of acting!

"As Time Goes By" with Dame Judith Dench is also a winner. Unfortunately, two other great shows, "No, Honestly" and "Duck Patrol" were short-lived and only filmed four to seven episodes, so they came and went very quickly.

What I appreciate about the Brit-Coms is the actors total lack of inhibition about looking foolish. American actors THINK they're uninhibited, but you always get the impression they're very concerned that their make-up is not smeared! (Hehehehe...can you tell I'm a bit of an anglophile about this subject?

i like it when Chevy chase reverses his car into stonehenge and all the pillars fall down like dominoes...priceless!

Canadians. whats your best [and worst] uk tv?

Brits. does anyone remember the name of the canadian comedian who was on Clarkson about a year ago?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

We get quite a few British Shows in the US. Mystery, Poirot and Keeping up Appearences are among my favorites. I used to love Absolutely Fablous too.

I alway wonder though, how old the shows we get are?

Judi
    P.S. Loved Benny Hill!!!!

I think the last series was only five or six years ago. Very welcome nonetheless.

Mike Engles

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"I 'ate you butler!!!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric, heh heh, I was going to specify that line in my post but couldn't decide how to "spell" it. I seem to remember it as

"Ah 'ate you But'lah'!!"

Or

"Would'dya' lac a bit 'a cake Olive?"

at the dinner table. Heee heee.

Later,
    B

We used to get Benny Hill and Monty Python here.
    I also used to watch second city tv, or what ever that show was with the Makenzie brothers. They were great along with John Candy and celebrity blow up !

So what does american clip art look like?
    White House, Ben Franklin, Liberety Bell, Statue of Liberty, etc. etc.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I actually have a piece of the old London Bridge here in Nova Scotia. I just did a quick look and couldn't find it. When I locate it I will scan it in and show all. That rich guy from Arizona didn't take home the whole thing.

Speaking of relocated landmarks, it is a little known fact that the city of Montreal actually had negotiations in the 1970's to purchase the Eiffel Tower to move it to Montreal.

Regards, Ross

PS - Does Canadian clipart look like canoes, igloos, mounties, snow shoes??

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

The story has it that the guy that bought London Bridge thought he was getting tower bridge...
    The London Bridge that was demolished wasn't that old, 1920's if I recall.
    I agree with Eric. Most clip art is associated with large American corporations and shows their view of the world. i.e. stereotypical

Tony
    Tony