Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

If you have a moment, please take a look at This Site and let me know if you like any of these designs.

I like them all, but then I might be a bit predudiced. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I would like #1 the best if it had a piece of jewelry draped near the bottom of the oval.

Mickie

Thanks. And welcome to the Xara X conference.

It's great to have you here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I have been a student of web design for some years now. I like to keep my eyes open to how designers sell their services. One idea I've seen could work well for you and the way you like to work. It relates to what to do with all the rejected but still interesting designs. They don't have to be filed away - instead offer them via your website as relatively low cost 'templates'. I've seen this done where the designer has two prices. One to buy the rights to a 'limited edition' where the same design can be sold to a limited number of people. The other more expensive price is to buy exclusive rights to the design. The offer usually includes a limited amount of customization. I'd suggest many purchasers end up also paying for additional services so a low price up front can get the designer to the table. The approach also has the benefit of rounding out the designers online portfolio - showing both how good you are and perhaps highlighting the kinds of designs you most like to do. It can help your other clients communicate what they like based on your own work instead of telling you they want it to look just like some other designers work.

The end result of such a marketing approach is that all your designs can end up having a life on the internet. You have the potential to be paid for all designs you do.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ivan - The font in design 8 is called CroAloha. I found it on MyFonts.com. The font had a playfull quality and also repeated some of the jewelry designs.

Robert - Some designers charge by the hour and some charge by the job. I generally charge by the job with additional charges for revisions.

I spent Friday through Monday generating ideas. I don't like to limit myself and try to do as many initial explorations as time allows. One design generally suggests another and I like to go with the flow of energy until I feel I have covered the possibilities. There is a point at which one needs to say, OK I think I have enough to present.

Klaus on the other hand likes to present his best design and say, here it is, this is the one. And that is fine for him.

I like to feel my clients are getting their money's worth and are part of the design selection process.

Hope this gives you some direction.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. I think two and four have the most potential. They strike me as the most professional and yet still very accessible. I find some of the other designs too cute. From the sample pieces I believe your client is a very good designer - the pieces seem quite structured - quite rational. The whimsical site designs aren't in keeping with the jewelry design I've seen. I also note that the "Castle" name apparently comes from the artist's name rather than some obsession with fairy tales.

Good work Gary. I really like your index page too.

Regards, Ross

Definately number Four. With Three not too far behind it.

... find the artist's site when it is up and running to see what kind of "miracle" was required... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

... but I like:

(4) It is looks very classy, professional and serious.

(5) I like this one too - it smacks you over the head and gets your attention right away.

I'm glad I don't have to chose... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Unfortunate. In your initial contact did she communicate her aspirations, ideas, likes & dislikes regarding her website project? If she did, and you can agree with her that the proposed approaches failed to meet those objectives - then I can see the return of the cheque. If there was relatively little consultation and she agreed to your putting together a series of ideas for discussion & further development - then IMHO she should be returning that cheque to you and thanking you for your gesture of offering it back. I'm amazed that some people think they should get something for nothing. Even if she doesn't intend to proceed with any of the designs - she got something. Imagine if you commissioned her to make you a ring and she spent numerous hours sketching ideas for your consideration. If you then say you don't want to proceed I'm sure she'd think she was still intitled to some compensation. All the hours she would have put into your project could have been used on other paying projects.

Regards, Ross