Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've been using MM for over a year now with no problems at all....today I went to delete and add a nav button and got the following error message: : "Xara MM is unable to write to the specified destination. Please check that the destination is writable."

I use DWMX and I have changed the name of the root file when I redesigned the site a few months ago...but was able to add and delete buttons then...without any fuss...so what happened...???

Thanks in advance for your help...

sorry, this one is beyond my knowledge... I do not do DWMX.

Unhappy Re: Destination is unwritable

John, I have this same difficulty starting today. MenuMaker shows the files to be overwritten in red but when I click save it tells me that the program cannot write to the folder. I assumed that somehow the files were inadvertently marked read-only but that's not so. I'm really frustrated because I don't want to start the project over again (I'll never get the menu colors right again.. )

Unlike mhrnewport I don't use DWMX (don't even know what that is). The odd thing is this worked until today. Even now I can successfully copy files and delete files to the folder via explorer; but MM just won't save the files.

I'm sure MM is pointing to the right place; here's how. When I save the dialog shows the files that will be saved. When I navigate to the save folder, they turn red indicating that they will be overwritten.

I'm guessing that something I did today (I added a button) uncovered this glitch somewhere w/i the program.

The exact wording inside the "Error from Xara Menu Maker" text box is:

Xara Menu Maker is unable to write to the specified destination. Pleae check that the destination is writeable. With an OK button.

I was using the trial (7 days to go) but bought the prog just a few minutes ago and unlocked it. No joy. Any ideas?

Default Re: Destination is unwritable

For whatever reason your MenuMaker interface isn't able to make the changes, you can make the changes yourself by editing the script file that contains the information you need to edit.

FrontPage can edit Javascript in the code view.

There are even free script editors you can download which is able to do that.

In your script file, you have your colors you picked out and all the information. By reading the file you can also find the colors you used and remake the menu in MenuMaker and input the hexadecimal values where required and then it would be fixed too.

It may be intimidating but if you have written any of your own html it is about the same thing, you just find where the information is in the code and alter it.

Word of caution. If you edit the file in something you cannot do any undo's in, I'd save a copy or several copies in various iterations in order to be able to go back to one which works.

If you have an old back up of when you did the web before you changed your directory names, you could also retrace your steps that way and incorporate your changes so that all is not lost.

I am having the same problem! It just started today out of the clear blue! What gives?
    Is there any help/answers to this? I'm doing this for a business!
    HELP!

Meia

Unhappy Re: Destination is unwritable

I guess there is not an answer for this problem?!

I'm assuming at this point it is a bug...

Regards~
    Meia

Write click on the files in questions and make sure the files are not hidden, are writeable and the archive bit is not set... it is a windoze problem not a MM problem. Basically the file/directory permissions are AFU.

At least that is what the symptoms tell me.

Sally... you forgot the best script editor... Notepad/wordpad...

Smile Re: Destination is unwritable

Hi,

I had the same problem and the reason was that I changed name of folder where I keep my web. So, when I changed to name when I created and saved menu first time the problem was solved.

Hope it helps

Menu Maker does not allow you to alter the save location of a navbar IF it has been inserted via the FrontPage add-in/Dreamweaver Extension, The save location is set only when inserting the navbar via the FrontPage add-in/Dreamweaver Extension.

if you for example insert a navbar into your web page saved at c:\temp\web pages

Later you moved the contents of c:\temp\web pages to c:\web pages and deleted c:\temp\web pages

next you select to edit the navbar. Youll recieve the destination unwritable message.

SOLUTION

re-insert the navbar

How do I re-insert my NavBar using Dreamweaver?

The same information is relevant for Menu Maker and Webstyle:

1. Open the web page in Dreamweaver.
    2. Click on the NavBar and delete it.
    3. Select Insert\Xara Webstyle 4\NavBars and menus.
    4. From the NavBar selection page, click on the saved radio button. Select the NavBar you wish to insert from the saved template files.
    5. Edit the NavBar if necessary then click on save.
    6. Select the appropriate project folder for the edited NavBar template to be saved to.
    7. Select Save Graphic. The location displayed for the files being saved will be the last location that the files were exported to. Click on the 'graphics folder' button and navigate to the location where all your other files associated with the web page are saved.
    8. Ensure the save in folder (the left side of the save screen) is set to the location where your web page is saved.
    9. Click on save to be directed to Dreamweaver.
    10.Save the web page and upload the web page, the xaramenu.js file stored in the same folder as your web page, and the folder containing the exported graphics to your web server.

How do I re-insert a Menu Maker NavBar into FrontPage?

Solution
    1.Open the web page in FrontPage.

2. Click on the NavBar and delete it.

3. Select insert\Xara Menu Maker\NavBars and menus

4. From the NavBar selection page, click on the saved radio button. Select the NavBar you wish to insert from your project files.

5. Edit the NavBar if necessary then click on save.

6. Select the appropriate project folder for the edited NavBar template to be saved to.

7. Select Save Graphic. The location displayed for the files being saved will be the last location that the files were exported to. Click on the graphics folder button and navigate to the location of the images folder where all your other files associated with the web page are saved.

8. Ensure the save in folder (the left side of the save screen) is set to the location where your web page is saved.

9. Click on Save to be directed to FrontPage.

10. Save the web page and upload the web page, the xaramenu.js file stored in the same folder as your web page, the images folder and its contents to your web server.