Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Been using Xara for over 10 years in it's many iterations but only ever really for commerical work but I thought I'd have a go a art with it - painting portraits ... my first work is totally ego-tistical and is a self portrait. I was surprised when I sat down and thought about different techniques of what you can actually get out of Xara when doing a painting project.

http://www.logovend.com/host/self.gif

Been using Xara for over 10 years in it's many iterations but only ever really for commerical work but I thought I'd have a go a art with it - painting portraits ... my first work is totally ego-tistical and is a self portrait. I was surprised when I sat down and thought about different techniques of what you can actually get out of Xara when doing a painting project.

http://www.logovend.com/host/self.gif

I think it would be viable if you had a quick function that could turn a brushstroke into a shape. Or possibly if there was a setting to do the same thing automatically.

If there was a toggle where you could stroke the brush and then it would affect the shape and hit the toggle when you're done. And allow Xara to add or subtract nodes of these shapes based on this toggle.

Then you would have a seriously cool application.

Because if you can control/create shapes as you would doing a painting and be able to control the hardness or softness of edges, why would you then need a painting program?

Xara is still geared more towards a hobbyist designer than a professional illustrator/painter.

The ability to paint relies on the speed with which you can create and design your shapes. Creating organic shapes has never been Xara's strength.
    Sheff
    My Site

you can do all the thing you've said using brushes and paste attributes. I've used a number technique to achieve this painting. And I diagree with you - you can get an organic feel usuing Xara and also it's not a hobbist app - dispite the price - I make £100k a year as a professional designer - hardly a hobby and all I use is Xara, mate!

You should check out the smoke brushes in last months Xara Xone if you think Xara can't do organic well.

I guess you need to learn a little more about the brushes in Xara.

A direct convert to shape would be sweet - so would an option for a direct release of line as soon as it's drawn (instead of having to hit escape).

Cool portrait James! I posted a mini-tut of a cheap version of making "artsy looking" portraits. It's not as good or refined as yours, but with a little bit of work I think you could create some neat looking things with it. Check it out!

I am always amazed at the incredible things possible with Xara in the hands of a capable artist. James, you have a true talent.

Nice Going James! Photo realistic is harder than one would think huh? One can not truly appreciate Valery's Sara X until one tries it themselves...

Excellent job... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

In terms of speed, I wish Xara would function more like a bitmap program when making shapes.

I've been using Xara for over 10 years, and I know it's not a hobbyists app. What I'm saying is that seems to be the market that Xara is targeting with X1. At least that's how it seems in the US. Is Xara more high profile in Europe than other applications like Illustrator or Freehand?

Eye dropper color selection in most bitmap programs is achieved with a quick key. No such quick key exists for Xara. You have to manually open the color editor to get to the eye dropper.

When I do a brush stroke and I am finished with the shape, I want it to immediately convert from a line to a shape without having to go to the arrange menu to do it.

My criticisms are more towards how I noramlly work and how Xara forces me to work a different way.
    Sheff
    My Site

If I understand you correctly Sheff,

It would be better to have the eyedropper added to the button pallette and a short-cut/button added for convert line to shape.

Both these ideas I see the need for and a speed up of production.