Hi Egg - when you tried this out, did you need to have the frames all editable as well for the coloured background to stay coloured? Although I had 'edit all frames' selected too at first (I was trying everything at this point!), I subsequently found that it worked okay with just the 'all visible' option. Although on a separate note, why this should work is anybody's guess. Perhaps for some reason Xara thinks that the background (ie the page) is actually some sort of hidden layer (hence the layer error message?), which as layers are not used in animations causes problems?

I didn't need to redo ctrl+drag the colour back onto the page background, when I clicked on 'all frames visible' the colour returned in a box around the animated part and then after scrolling up and down it returned to the whole page.

Just curious as I wondered if it was working differently on your system.

I also found that it doesn't really matter about the 'all frames visible' to actually export the gif as antialiased against the background colour. As long as I had 'optimised palette per frame' selected in animation colour properties it still exports colour antialiased gifs even though the background has gone white. But it is nice to actually see the background anyway and also to be able to change it's colour without those odd error messages.

Regards

Su