Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: I'm alive

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi girls & guys,

(are there still girls around here? Haven't seen Maya for a while)

Just to let you know that I'm almost fine and alive here a tiny sign from me.

Sure, Gary was right when he wrote that there are only 7, 8, 9 or 10 active members left, so count me in again and we are eleven :-)

The reason why I've been so silent: The banks killed me and so I have been forced to sign up for a nine-to-five-job as a CAD operator. Yes, you can laugh, it's ugly, but what the hell could I do except committing a crime? So I ended up with an ugly company manufacturing extremely ugly products. The management features a 'what was good yesterday must be good tomorrow as well' mentality, they don't even know how to spell 'open minded'. I don't have absolutely no chance to improve or modify or enhance at least one of their products, so everything is wasted: words, ideas, ambition.

The result: When I return home after a boring day I seldom switch on my machines.

But at least I could fix my car to be able to move around and acquire new biz. Unfortunately our economy is down the gutter, meaning there are almost no projects. Just a 'silver line' at the horizon.

Confessions of a designer with no market valueat this moment <sigh>.

Anyway, here we go with something I've developed: a pool cart. Well, it looks funny with the horns, but they are needed for a special purpose: to transport pool roof doors. You know these barrel type things the Germans use to cover their pools to prevent that children will fall into the pools and drown. You've guessed it: we have a law for this bullshit ;-}. We have a f...ing law for every fart on this globe.

That was the good news. The bad news is that no manufacturer of pool roofs is interested in this product, not even if I tell them they can drive their mother-in-law to the pool with it to drown her. Life is like a chicken ladder: full of shit.

Now I feel better. Much better. Because I know I've spent my time on a useless product but at the same time doing some training for my brain and fingers to prevent rust and aging < big grin >.

Just in case you know of a company in the US that's in need for a good industrial designer: drop me a note. I NEED A CHALLENGE or my brain will turn into a useless mass of cells.

Have fun and don't think I'll give up.

Will I return to coding? Nope, no way. I've missed the latest developments, don't know anything about php or mySQL, .net or any other new technology. And to be honest: I don't even care about it, because all the new and fancy coding tricks won't change the content or results at all.

Don't get me wrong, this place as well as the other forums are great, but the rest of the Internet is saturated. The hype is over, what I miss is really NEW content or developments. It's like years ago when Desk Top Publishing started to spread: it was only a shift to another profession and technology, but the content remained the same. And many craftsmen lost their jobs.

So actually this is no news at all, isn't it? The world keeps repeating itself, just a bit faster than in earlier times.

Thumbs up, go for it, and just in case you don't know what to do with your modem, ISDN or DSL:

http://www.sacalobra.de

and then select the FLASH version. It'll glue you to you screen for a while and help to forget the world around you for a couple of minutes.

Enjoy and rest assured there will be better times!

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--

[This message was edited by Mark (theKeeper) on November 05, 2002 at 00:47.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pool-cart04a.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	10577  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi girls & guys,

(are there still girls around here? Haven't seen Maya for a while)

Just to let you know that I'm almost fine and alive here a tiny sign from me.

Sure, Gary was right when he wrote that there are only 7, 8, 9 or 10 active members left, so count me in again and we are eleven :-)

The reason why I've been so silent: The banks killed me and so I have been forced to sign up for a nine-to-five-job as a CAD operator. Yes, you can laugh, it's ugly, but what the hell could I do except committing a crime? So I ended up with an ugly company manufacturing extremely ugly products. The management features a 'what was good yesterday must be good tomorrow as well' mentality, they don't even know how to spell 'open minded'. I don't have absolutely no chance to improve or modify or enhance at least one of their products, so everything is wasted: words, ideas, ambition.

The result: When I return home after a boring day I seldom switch on my machines.

But at least I could fix my car to be able to move around and acquire new biz. Unfortunately our economy is down the gutter, meaning there are almost no projects. Just a 'silver line' at the horizon.

Confessions of a designer with no market valueat this moment <sigh>.

Anyway, here we go with something I've developed: a pool cart. Well, it looks funny with the horns, but they are needed for a special purpose: to transport pool roof doors. You know these barrel type things the Germans use to cover their pools to prevent that children will fall into the pools and drown. You've guessed it: we have a law for this bullshit ;-}. We have a f...ing law for every fart on this globe.

That was the good news. The bad news is that no manufacturer of pool roofs is interested in this product, not even if I tell them they can drive their mother-in-law to the pool with it to drown her. Life is like a chicken ladder: full of shit.

Now I feel better. Much better. Because I know I've spent my time on a useless product but at the same time doing some training for my brain and fingers to prevent rust and aging < big grin >.

Just in case you know of a company in the US that's in need for a good industrial designer: drop me a note. I NEED A CHALLENGE or my brain will turn into a useless mass of cells.

Have fun and don't think I'll give up.

Will I return to coding? Nope, no way. I've missed the latest developments, don't know anything about php or mySQL, .net or any other new technology. And to be honest: I don't even care about it, because all the new and fancy coding tricks won't change the content or results at all.

Don't get me wrong, this place as well as the other forums are great, but the rest of the Internet is saturated. The hype is over, what I miss is really NEW content or developments. It's like years ago when Desk Top Publishing started to spread: it was only a shift to another profession and technology, but the content remained the same. And many craftsmen lost their jobs.

So actually this is no news at all, isn't it? The world keeps repeating itself, just a bit faster than in earlier times.

Thumbs up, go for it, and just in case you don't know what to do with your modem, ISDN or DSL:

and then select the FLASH version. It'll glue you to you screen for a while and help to forget the world around you for a couple of minutes.

Enjoy and rest assured there will be better times!

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--

[This message was edited by Mark (theKeeper) on November 05, 2002 at 00:47.]
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Sorry about the design business not going well for you. The 9 to 5 grind is so boring.

Nice to ear you're back Jens... and sorry for bank and lack of business killing you. But as someone have said : what didn't kill you make you stronger.

I know how you feel... i had to alimentary-work just to buy food few years ago (worked n supermarkets, and as a guard in factories). Now i fortunately dont do anything else than design, but i'm "forced" to design websites for adult business companies, or i would have to stop and find another job. Freelancing is not easy everydays, and we sometimes have to accept some ugly compromise. Sad but true.

So you're not alone [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Friendly...

Hey Jens, nice to see you 'round here again.
    Sorry to hear about the biz there. But i'm sure thing will look up in the near future. Fate is an unpredictabley fickle lady. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------------------------
    In case you're wondering about my greasy finger prints being on your post... i edited this part in the message => < big grin > (yours didn't have the spaces though)

Because there was no space after and before the brackets, it nullified the text size in your post making all the text after that really huge. I spaced the brackets to return the type to its normal size.

Hope ya don't mind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"

The return of jens [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ...good to hear from ya bud,I will mail you actually that will be easier [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cool pool cart.

Stu.

Nice to have you back here, Jens. The most difficult part is that this kind of "job" eats up far more energy than it should be allowed to. It kills the imagination either by starving it or by suffocating it. And it's the imagination that keeps us going, so protect it with everything that's in your power.
    Don't forget Oscar Wilde: "The public is very tolerant. It forgives everything, except genius."

jens,
    Nice to see ya back in the old forum. I know how the daily grind works, been doing it long enough. I'm averaging at least 50-60 hours a week between two jobs (neither of which is very rewarding or well-paying) so I know where you're at.

That site design still impresses me since I first saw it when you originally completed it. Did you do that Flash work yourself? Very nice.

Welcome back, and try to find the time to pop in now and then when you get the chance.

Brett

Oh yeah, and nice pool cart!