Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Blend Tool - step distance is disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Markku View Post
    Just very simple; one pixel black and 2 white, or 1 and 1.
    Here's a quick brush that might work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C View Post
    Here's a quick brush that might work.
    That works great, thank you!
    Would you tell me how you did it? I could then make my own variations of it.

When I set the pixel grid to 1 pixel spacing I can easily move the line and make it snap to the grid, but when I set the grid to 10 pixel spacing I cannot move the line and have it snap to grid dots. It snaps but it is off a couple of pixels so I presume you were using some larger (hidden) element within the brush.

That works great, thank you!
    Would you tell me how you did it? I could then make my own variations of it.
    I took a closer look at the output of that brush with 1px grid and noticed that as the line gets longer the "pixels" start to offset from the pixel grid. I checked the brush settings and saw you had 200% spacing there and I think that is correct. So that just shows why brushes are not a very good alternative to real dash lines - they are a bit inaccurate I suppose because they were meant to be used more artistically.

Actually quite accurate. The brush was created with a 1 px X 1 px shape (line width=none) and no hidden elements, spacing 200%. Using the brush to make a line results in the end points centered in the respective shapes at each end and not at the visible edges of the shapes; the end points are where the snapping will respond. Perhaps, that's what you're seeing. I don't see the shapes 'pixels' [your term] starting to offset as the line gets longer. see graphic 1

You can convert the line to grouped shape(s) by using Arrange>Convert Line to Shape. (make line width=none). It can then be positioned accurately along the visible edges of the shapes (lower left= 0,0 default). It's not a 'real dash[ed] line', but still accurate. see graphic 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap01.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	74962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap02.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	74964  

~Fred

I don't see the shapes 'pixels' [your term] starting to offset as the line gets longer.
    Nice to know how your brush was done and I think the brush is as good as it gets. But take a look at the attached file. Go slowly from left to right at a very close zoom and you should see dots offsetting at about midway of the line.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You're correct, I see it; it looks like a 1/2 pixel gain in the 402 pixel length.
    ~Fred

You're correct, I see it; it looks like a 1/2 pixel gain in the 402 pixel length.
    And I was going to use that line on web pages which are usually more than 900 px wide. In reality nobody would see the inaccuracy so this is not a real problem, but I just happen to be bothered about things like that and then I tend to look for another solution which in this case might be setting the duplicate distance to y=0 and x=3 and then just duplicate the dot as many times as it requires and then group it.

...then just duplicate the dot as many times as it requires and then group it.
    That proved to be a very fast method to accomplish my dash line...

I agree; minor inaccuracy, but it bugs me too. Your original 'blend' approach is probably the most versatile since it works on other than straight lines. Interesting exercise!

Regards,
    ~Fred