Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pixelization in a vector drawing program?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeej21 View Post

By the way, I was taught in school that 72dpi was the max output of any monitor resuloution or tv? But that was a long time ago, . I'm still outputting all my web images at a resolution of 72dpi.
    on that topic there was a thread here that may be worth a read
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=12856
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Here's an example using your central elliptical beveled object. It takes a lot more planning, and is not nearly as easy as just using the bevel tool, but it can be done. Pull it apart to see what I did.
    Wow.. very nice, David. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. This was a big help. Yeah,.. it's not as "fast and easy" as the nifty bevel button, but the results are much cleaner using your method.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    ps - I forgot to mention that it has something to do with the total 'length' of the fill. If you have a linear fill, say, 500 pixels long, if it is only two colors, the blend will be beautiful. If you place two distinct color handles 1 pixel apart from each other on that same linear fill, you will see pixelation between those fill handles, whereas you won't on the other parts of the fill because there are many more subdivisions in those 'longer' parts. Evidently, each fill type uses the same number of subdivisions from end-to-end. Maybe knowing that helps you in some manner.
    That makes a ton of sense, David. Thanks again for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    on that topic there was a thread here that may be worth a read
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=12856
    My head is now spinning after reading all that. lol! Thanks for sharing the link with me.

All vector objects are ultimately rendered using bitmap techniques because the screen is a bitmap!

The bevel bitmaps are generated on the fly from the vectors data so unlike a bitmap program they are not fixed once you've drawn them and their resolution can be adjusted as needed.

Normally the bitmap resolution is calculated to be invisible at the current zoom factor but as you zoom in, increasing the effective resolution required to render the object, the bitmap becomes so big that it would take many many megabytes of memory and would be very slow to render. So Xtreme places an upper limit on the resolution of some bitmaps, bevels in particular, and above that limit you will start to see the pixels.

A similar thing is hapenning during printing or exporting to high-res file formats.

Phil

In my (albeit limited) experience, this is how CorelDraw also handles these things. Xara however does it much much faster (on the same hardware). And although CorelDraw uses the 'interactive' word for transparencies, shadows etc - it's nothing like Xaras 'Live & Real Time' interactivness.
    Bottom line for me, I can't create in CorelDraw what I can with XaraXtreme.