Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: My expieriences to set a book with XDP v16

Thanks for the reporting, Ernie. A true labor of love...

I think I'll stick to using an actual layout application. Aside from being a more assured work-flow, and the fact it is far faster to use a layout application, most/all of the issues you raise are non-existent.

Thanks again. Mike

ernie, kudos for persisting with this.

A particular thanks for the detail highlighting all the difficulties you have encountered, endured and mainly overcome.

It would be useful for Xara to incorporate your original documents as part of its testing strategy to demonstrate the application's limitation to its developers.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

there are no problems to got the original files from me.

All I'd have to do is sign a declaration of weighing. As well as giving the guarantee that the data will not appear anywhere but will remain with Xara for research purposes only.

Servus Ernie

I suggested to Xara creating a variation of Designer Pro specifically for book publishing. It is a huge market. They listened. Nothing came of it.

The books I have designed are not as big or demanding as what you described. But what works best for me is to divide the book into sections of chapters and save each section or chapter as a separate Xara file. I export each section or chapter as a PDF file then use Acrobat to stitch all the PDFs into one. It make working easier than trying to manage 300 pages in a single document.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Gary thanks for Your sugestion to split the file. I thought about too but tried it to do in one file.

It works for me, only the slowness if there are long text passages made the work sluggerish. But I haven't one crash in all the days I created the book. This was me first fear that Xara crashes after say, 50 pages. But nothing all went good. Only the thinks I mentoined ristrict Xara to a prof. DTP-Software. I hope the Affinity Publisher will be in the state to use it for the second book. I'll see. And I wish Xara is here and do the right thinks to improve Xara. The Drawing things we wait X-Years, so maybe the DTP things will be faster.

Servus Ernie

So now all three books are printed and distributed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03856.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	123650 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03857.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	123651 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03858.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	123652

I realized all three books with Xara Designer Pro.

Affinity Publisher is still in, let's say, a self-discovery phase. The really important DTP functions are still missing.

Thanks to everyone who mentally supported me with my book project in Xara.

Well done, Ernie.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Well done, Ernie.
    Tanks Gary.

Well done ernie,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I just finished a new novel for my wife. About 224 pages, 8.5" square with a few dozen photos and did it all in one file. It actually worked out pretty OK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...?ie=UTF8&psc=1