Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Bah Humbug!

Thumbs down Bah Humbug!

Dear Xara...

Can you explain to the simpler of your Customers (me) why http://www.xara.com/templates/happy-holidays/ is available for use through Xara Cloud and, by association, to the Desktop application users, yet you fail to update the Online Content Catalogue (OCC) with them?

If I use the OCC and search "Christmas", everything returned is Pixabay.
    If the OCC is that onerous to update, will you please revert to uploading your content directly into the Local Designs gallery.

Yet another paying Customer has been sideswiped by the notification failure of the update from v12 to v15 (and probably from v15 to v16 for others) as well as the obscure notice, by implication, that the OCC is removed from use after expiry of the Update service. People just do not fully understand your self-defeating approach to retaining loyal customers. [https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...atalogue-quot]

Why not spread a bit of Xmas Cheer?

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 30 November 2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Bah Humbug!

+1
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Dear Xara...

Can you explain to the simpler of your Customers (me) why http://www.xara.com/templates/happy-holidays/ is available for use through Xara Cloud and, by association, to the Desktop application users, yet you fail to update the Online Content Catalogue (OCC) with them?

If I use the OCC and search "Christmas", everything returned is Pixabay.
    If the OCC is that onerous to update, will you please revert to uploading your content directly into the Local Designs gallery.

Yet another paying Customer has been sideswiped by the notification failure of the update from v12 to v15 (and probably from v15 to v16 for others) as well as the obscure notice, by implication, that the OCC is removed from use after expiry of the Update service. People just do not fully understand your self-defeating approach to retaining loyal customers. [https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...atalogue-quot]

Why not spread a bit of Xmas Cheer?

Acorn
    +1

100% with you!

You can always make a free account and download the templates to use in any of the desktop versions.

Thanks
    Rob
    Last edited by amoore; 06 December 2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Deleted response to handrawn's post that has earned an infraction

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    You can always make a free account and download the templates to use in any of the desktop versions.
    Rob, if someone chose to download all the Christmas cheer templates and then zipped then and presented on TG or hosted them elsewhere, would that be all right?
    Obviously only users of the Xara Desktop applications would benefit and Xara Cloud users need not bother.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I had a quick chat with Kate and unfortunately she's not happy with content being zipped up and posted on TG.

I can't really add anymore. I don't know why they don't add it to the CC, I've this passed it on to the relevant parties.

I had a quick chat with Kate and unfortunately she's not happy with content being zipped up and posted on TG.
    I can't really add anymore. I don't know why they don't add it to the CC, I've this passed it on to the relevant parties.
    Rob, thank you for asking; I expected this response.

In claiming this, I assume as Intellectual Property, Xara is ending up in an awkward place.

If in TG, I use a Xara template and create something to demonstrate a solution, a bug or an issue, for access by TGers, who owns what?
    It is exactly the same problem I asked about as to whether Xara would allow a TGer supplying a Spiral in a design file to a Xara Desktop application user who was out of Update Service cover.
    Where does XaraTemplates.com lie?

Sorry if this seems I am being awkward but it is important.

Acorn

This isn't my area of expertise unfortunately.

The EULA specifies templates, graphics...... etc supplied with the software are not permitted to be distributed, so if you create a spiral or template yourself then it's free to do what you wish with it. As far as I'm aware XaraTemplates are created from scratch so up to them what they do with their templates (including selling them commercially).

As it comes to modified templates, I don't believe technically this is permitted as covered by the "in any form" clause, but again, not my area so don't take my word for it. That being said, we do ask for them anyway to view the problem and officially I guess this should be done in private PM's. At the same time, I don't think it would be enforced unless it became a problem.

This would be better asked at legal@xara.com for an official statement (which will probably be along the lines of nothing is permitted anywhere at anytime lol)

This isn't my area of expertise unfortunately.

The EULA specifies templates, graphics...... etc supplied with the software are not permitted to be distributed, so if you create a spiral or template yourself then it's free to do what you wish with it. As far as I'm aware XaraTemplates are created from scratch so up to them what they do with their templates (including selling them commercially).

As it comes to modified templates, I don't believe technically this is permitted as covered by the "in any form" clause, but again, not my area so don't take my word for it. That being said, we do ask for them anyway to view the problem and officially I guess this should be done in private PM's. At the same time, I don't think it would be enforced unless it became a problem.

This would be better asked at legal@xara.com for an official statement (which will probably be along the lines of nothing is permitted anywhere at anytime lol)
    Rob, that helps me.

I chose the Spiral as a test case as the code for its rendering is already embedded in the application and so is well protected by law.
    A template that uses that code to produce another spiral (colour, alignment, size) is just an instantiation of the Spiral code akin to you typing a word or phrase in MS Word and providing it as an MS Word Template gratis.

Acorn