Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default namechange of files after updating website

Has anybody an idea on how to prevent WD from renaming file names when updateing a website?

example: I add a topic in the website, then export it and a pic that was previously named 55.jpg is now called 53.jpg

The thing is, that I constantly add topics and I need other people to link to these topics and use the right pictures to the right topics.

Default Re: namechange of files after updating website

Quote Originally Posted by Brombi View Post
    Has anybody an idea on how to prevent WD from renaming file names when updateing a website?

example: I add a topic in the website, then export it and a pic that was previously named 55.jpg is now called 53.jpg
    WD generates names dynamically and so elements are named accoring to content. If that content changes, so may the asset name.

The thing is, that I constantly add topics and I need other people to link to these topics and use the right pictures to the right topics.
    It's very poor practice to cross-link to images on other pages. If they want the image on their own page they should have a seperate copy.

What would happen if YOU deleted an image that someone referred to..? dead link.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    WD generates names dynamically and so elements are named accoring to content. If that content changes, so may the asset name.
    OK, thank you for the info.

It's very poor practice to cross-link to images on other pages. If they want the image on their own page they should have a seperate copy.

What would happen if YOU deleted an image that someone referred to..? dead link.
    Yes - dead link, I am aware of that. Poor practice, yes...but thinks like twitter (or some blogs) only link to pages and does not contain images by itself. So if someone wants to twitter about the site and gives a link to a picture... it may not be the right one,after I update the site.

The thing is, I want otheres to link to us.....

There should be no problem linking to a page, only the embedded images.

There really is no need to refer directly to the image.

You can directly specify the filename of the exported image by adding following name to the object:
    Code:
    filename="mypicture"
    Where mypicture is the filename you want to use. Do not add an extension - it will be added automatically based on the image type used on export. Also take care to avoid naming conflicts. To avoid conflicts with autogenerated names simply make sure that your names do not begin with a digit.
    John.

There should be no problem linking to a page, only the embedded images.

There really is no need to refer directly to the image.
    I would normaly agree with you, till somebody bloged about it and I updated the site and the pictures where wrong. Now this is his problem, yes...but at the same time somewhat mine. The quick solution was to create a static folder with the pictures in it.... unreleated to WD.

But obviousely, I do not want to do this for every blogger... especially since I do not know everybody that is bloggin about it.

However, since you pointed out that WD dynamicly changes the names, I might end up, for this site, using something like Joomla earlier than I was hoping for. Or integrate a blog.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    You can directly specify the filename of the exported image by adding following name to the object:
    Code:
    filename="mypicture"
    Where mypicture is the filename you want to use. Do not add an extension - it will be added automatically based on the image type used on export. Also take care to avoid naming conflicts. To avoid conflicts with autogenerated names simply make sure that your names do not begin with a digit.
    Cool, where do I find this option?

Quote Originally Posted by Brombi View Post
    Cool, where do I find this option?
    Right-click your image and select 'Names'

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Right-click your image and select 'Names'
    Yes, done that....but still ends up with a number only.

Please see this post:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...54&postcount=3

PS: Don't forget to make sure you are using the latest updated version of Web Designer 6 (July 9 2010)
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 20 July 2010 at 08:27 PM.