Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Info Re: Importing Word Table and linking a word in a cell

Keith, sorry to keep bombarding you but the PDF option seems suitable too, having seen your website.

Presently, however, you have done something to ensure the table goes out as a bitmap! Links will then fail.
    http://rutlandcountyseniors.com/inde...files/1812.png.
    You need to ensure you are not grouping the Excel import with anything else or itself.
    If you must group, you need to soft-group.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Importing Word Table and linking a word in a cell

Acorn That site view was only representive of what we do. I have just quickly updated with some links and it appears to work OK. Will you check please. www>rutlandcountyseniors.com "Events" page. After you come back can we also discuss the PDF approach. Terry

Quote Originally Posted by golfertel View Post
    Acorn That site view was only representive of what we do. I have just quickly updated with some links and it appears to work OK. Will you check please. www>rutlandcountyseniors.com "Events" page. After you come back can we also discuss the PDF approach. Terry
    Terry, the links are fine. were thay added in Xara or Excel?

The PDF approach would be twofold.

EXCEL
    • Maintain the detail and links in Excel.
    • Select the entire list and set Page Layout > Print Area to that. This gives you one long list. You repeat this for each row increase of the list.
      • I personally would set Page breaks on each month and repeat the headings row for each but I don't know you or your co-editors Excel experience.
      • Page Layout > Print Titles: pick the heading row.
      • Page Setup > Page: A4 Portrait, Fit to 1 page wide (leave tall blank).

• File > Export > Create PDF/XPS Document and Publish.
      • Minimum size.
      • Options: Selection.

If that is then uploaded to an area that is now the Xara publish area, this saves web re-publishing as all you are changing is the content of the list.

XARA
    • Drag and drop the PDF onto your Xara page and pick the Add Link option.
      • This ensures Xara knows the filename of the PDF.
      • We can use this for downloading the list separately.

• Create a large rectangle for a Placeholder.
      • <object data="index_htm_files/filename.pdf" type="application/pdf" width=100% height=100%> <iframe src="index_htm_files/filename.pdf&embedded=true"></iframe></object>
      • Change filename to the actual PDF filename.

If you use an FTP tool like Filezilla, you need never touch the Xara file after the first upload.
    All the editor does is make the changes to the list, save in Excel and Publish as PDF and upload to the same location, keeping the same filename.

If you don't want an FTP tool than you delete the PDF link, drop the updated PDF back onto the page and Smart Publish the Xara site.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn I converted the excel file to a word document and then imported to Xara, it maintained all the formatting. It allowed me to edit and make links in Xara.
    I will be looking at your solution later and will come back to you, once again thank you for your efforts. Terry

Acorn I'm lost. I produced PDF file but could not drop and drag into Xara. I imported and chose "Add Link" this produced an Adobe icon on the page. Produced large placeholder, from there I'm stuck. Help.

Acorn I'm lost. I produced PDF file but could not drop and drag into Xara. I imported and chose "Add Link" this produced an Adobe icon on the page. Produced large placeholder, from there I'm stuck. Help.
    The Add Link is great. Xara now has the file in index_htm_files/folder. What is its filename? You take the Filename, less its pdf extension, and replace the code I provided in Post #23 above in the two indicated places. Save and Preview.

Acorn

Acorn Apologies have been out of circulation for a few days. Have changed file names as below. Page ends up with code as below and an Adobe icon. Save and preview and same page as described is displayed, all other pages are OK. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. I'm just pasting the code into the page like text, this does not seem correct to me. Terry

<object data="index html _files/Copy of Events & Fixtures 2018 14th March 2018 PDF.pdf" type="application/pdf" width=100% height=100%> <iframe src="index_htm_files/Copy of Events & Fixtures 2018 14th March 2018 PDF.pdf&embedded=true"></iframe></object>

Acorn Apologies have been out of circulation for a few days. Have changed file names as below. Page ends up with code as below and an Adobe icon. Save and preview and same page as described is displayed, all other pages are OK. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. I'm just pasting the code into the page like text, this does not seem correct to me. Terry

<object data="index html _files/Copy of Events & Fixtures 2018 14th March 2018 PDF.pdf" type="application/pdf" width=100% height=100%> <iframe src="index_htm_files/Copy of Events & Fixtures 2018 14th March 2018 PDF.pdf&embedded=true"></iframe></object>
    Terry, have you also dragged the same file from the folder onto your page? Is this the "Adobe icon" part? There are no PDFs uploaded into http://rutlandcountyseniors.com/index_htm_files/.

If you open that icon's Placeholder code, is the src information in quotes exactly that of the one you have typed in in the object data quotes above?
    The detail you provided is missing an underscore between index and html_files.

Acorn

Acorn
    1) I did not drag PDF file onto page because of using Tablet at the time, I imported it and the Went into "WEB properties"
    2) When double click on the icon it goes into "Web Properties.
    3) Putting code etc onto the "Events" where I want the listing NOT in the "index" page!!!
    4) Do I need the full path of the PDF file and not just the name.
    5) Have amended code with underscore as instructed.

A lot of questions. Terry

Acorn
    1) I did not drag PDF file onto page because of using Tablet at the time, I imported it and the Went into "WEB properties"
    2) When double click on the icon it goes into "Web Properties.
    3) Putting code etc onto the "Events" where I want the listing NOT in the "index" page!!!
    4) Do I need the full path of the PDF file and not just the name.
    5) Have amended code with underscore as instructed.

A lot of questions. Terry
    Terry

Dragging the PDF onto the page ensures it is uploaded into the index_htm(l)_files/ folder.
    Drag the PDF onto the Events page as this gives you the opportunity to download from that icon. It could have been to anywhere on your site as it is saved as above.
    you need the relative path to the index_htm(l)_files/ folder:
    • If your site is htm-based, use<object data="index_htm_files/filename.pdf" type="application/pdf" width=100% height=100%> <iframe src="index_htm_files/filename.pdf&embedded=true"></iframe></object>
    • If your site is html-based, use<object data="index_html_files/filename.pdf" type="application/pdf" width=100% height=100%> <iframe src="index_html_files/filename.pdf&embedded=true"></iframe></object>

Acorn