Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default there MUST be a better way - (pasting in layers in the correct location HOW ???)

so - now that I am BEGINNING to understand layers
    I want to paste something (text, photo, whatever)
    I place the cursor in the layer gallery exactly where i want it to go
    (eg photo on a shape that I already made a shadow and feather etc
    and hit ctrl V
    and BAM = it goes on top of the list of all the items in the gallery
    and I have to drag it down
    (often several scrolls are included)
    I have tried every paste and sub-option in the menu

I even put a dummy shape in the exact location,
    then selected it, then said paste (replace selection)
    which it did perfectly
    BUT it still gets listed in the gallery at the top of the list
    this can not be the correct process

HELP

thanks

Default Re: there MUST be a better way - (pasting in layers in the correct location HOW ???)

I am not sure if I understand the question but in the layer gallery the top layer in the listing is above all the other layers and so forth on the way down.

So if you paste something on the top layer in the gallery, it will appear above anything else on the page.

You can reposition layers by dragging the title bar up or down.

Default Re: there MUST be a better way - (pasting in layers in the correct location HOW ???)

I don't think it is possible to paste into a given location in the stacking order [stacking order being the order in which the objects in the layer appear, one above an other]; as far as I know xara always pastes at the top of the layer stack

That said, I think if you have a group object and you open that group object to paste in, and then save the group object, it will hold position even when you ungroup, which may be useful to you...

You can insert layers easily enough in between other layers, but in an exixiting structure that may not be helpful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I am not sure if I understand the question but in the layer gallery the top layer in the listing is above all the other layers and so forth on the way down.

So if you paste something on the top layer in the gallery, it will appear above anything else on the page.

You can reposition layers by dragging the title bar up or down.
    sorry if my OP was not clear
    yes - I do know that the layers have visual authority over the layers below
    I was (am still) complaining as to why all items are entered INTO a layer AWAYS at the top of the list of the given layer

argh -
    what you say is what I am experiencing
    it would sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better
    if you could click a spot in an existing layer in the gallery and say
    INSERT HERE
    guess I will learn to live with it
    ps
    before some asks = why I want this
    here is an example
    numerous text blocks - (like paragraphs on a page)
    and then go back and add a photo or a line to separate the text sections
    and you want to group them (lines, photos, text and headers, etc) together, but they are stacked at the top of the layer
    and you have to drag them all into place

can you use a soft group, which will group objects without them having to be in the same place
    Nothing lasts forever...

TD, you could create a clutch of Layers and select one with Solo Mode and build up a collection of objects therein.

Later you want to copy from one layer so do that and select the required layer before pasting.

Or select the required layer, select something in right click on it in the gallery and pick Move to current layer.

Or for your issue select all the items by marquee drag then press Ctrl+F and Group or Ctrl+ and Group.
    This brings then together at the top or the bottom.

You can even shuffle layers.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    TD, you could create a clutch of Layers and select one with Solo Mode and build up a collection of objects therein.

Later you want to copy from one layer so do that and select the required layer before pasting.

Or select the required layer, select something in right click on it in the gallery and pick Move to current layer.

Or for your issue select all the items by marquee drag then press Ctrl+F and Group or Ctrl+ and Group.
    This brings then together at the top or the bottom.

You can even shuffle layers.

Acorn
    understand all
    thanks
    all tedious

I tried the solo one as a test
    when I drug a photo from explorer - it warned was getting pasted into a nonvisible layer

I am SURE my suggestion is great for the developers
    can someone send to a wish list somewhere for future development

thanks all for feedback

The hack using a group does appear to work, I felt sure I had used it back in the day, so i checked

if the object you want it pasted above is a group then select this, right click, and then click open group - paste your object here in the group, and save the group - if you do not want it to remain in the group you can simply drag it out in the gallery - you can use the gallery locate button to find the selected group in the gallery; and so you avoid all the scrolling...

if the object is not a group you can select it and press ctrl+G to make it one, xara is quite happy to group an object all by itself - and then you proceed as above, using ctrl+U to ungroup at the end

this is probably a lot easier than scrolling through many many objects, once you get the hang of it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    The hack using a group does appear to work, I felt sure I had used it back in the day, so i checked
    if the object you want it pasted above is a group then select this, right click, and then click open group - paste your object here in the group, and save the group - if you do not want it to remain in the group you can simply drag it out in the gallery - you can use the gallery locate button to find the selected group in the gallery; and so you avoid all the scrolling...
    if the object is not a group you can select it and press ctrl+G to make it one, xara is quite happy to group an object all by itself - and then you proceed as above, using ctrl+U to ungroup at the end
    this is probably a lot easier than scrolling through many many objects, once you get the hang of it
    handrawn, Group-working is very useful apart from the UI.
    If you double-click an element in the Group, it will open the Group and you can re-arrange and add new shapes.
    The exception is when the clicked-element is a single self-grouped Box. You can always right-click and pick Open Group but it always throws me.

Next is the use of Save, Ctrl+S or even close the Edit Inside <filename> Tab.
    You have to use one of these, even with no change.

It scared me rigid when I accidently clicked into such a Group and most things had vanished from the Page & Layer gallery.

Inside a Group you can Soft-Group or even Group.
    From outside the Group, you cannot tell or select these. All you get is a single element with a Status line showing 'inside'.

If you have Most recent attributes ticked, this does not carry across into a Group. Red Fill outside, Black Fill inside.
    Red Fill inside, Save and come back in Black Fill.
    A change to the QuickFill Number of Sides does come across.

It is also only in recent versions that text is kept as text. Prior grouped text became an image.

Grouping and Layering are commendable high-level skills that you need to be very comfortable with.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat