Paul - While I more often than not are on the same page with you, I respectfully disagree.

Yes, it is a swell idea for a design to adjust to the width of the browser. But my guess is only a tiny fraction of web designers can really pull this off with a design that looks good at any width. So most responsive sites may look best at certain widths, but they might look like a dog's breakfast at other widths.

If you design 2 or three variants, then the browser can select the most appropriate for that width and the design integrity will remain true to the designer's design.

To be sure this requires more work on the part of the designer. But the text that looks great on a full screen browser might not look as great on my wife's iPhone SE. And the amount of text might be appropriate for a large browser but look more like Proust on a cell phone.

I am not doing a lot of web design these days. But when I do, I prefer to edit and tailor the content to the device as a means of retaining control over my design.

You are an excellent designer, Paul and I respect that. As we used to say back in the 60s, Different strokes for different folks