Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Line Drawing

Default Re: Line Drawing

It is the first option that I am after, not being an artist I was initially looking for help on using Xara as a drawing tool, or suggestions on where I might get pre drawn figures. Secondly looking for recommendations on software that could animate the svg file. Currently what seems to be working best is Inkscape to draw the figures. I seem to be able to manipulate the drawing tools in Inkscape better than Xara but that could be because of practice. I will probably go back to Xara at some point and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by laguna92651 View Post
    It is the first option that I am after, not being an artist I was initially looking for help on using Xara as a drawing tool, or suggestions on where I might get pre drawn figures. Secondly looking for recommendations on software that could animate the svg file. Currently what seems to be working best is Inkscape to draw the figures. I seem to be able to manipulate the drawing tools in Inkscape better than Xara but that could be because of practice. I will probably go back to Xara at some point and try again.
    Thx Laguna for confirming that for me.

In my opinion while inkscape has some features Xara does not, Xara is faster and easier to use, and, yes it could be lack of practice. There is mothing wrong with ising various software on one piece if you find that gives you the result you are looking for. Not everyone is as pig headed as I am trying to use Xara to do everything. I must admit to using FilterForge ocassionaly, but, so far I have used it only on part of my stained glass Drop Caps using a metalizer filter.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

OK I had to try one too. I used a different image, color, and technique, than Egg did and for sure did not spend enough time on it, but for better or worse here you go.
    Anyway if you don't mind having a ton of frames this technique appears to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animated line.gif 
Views:	132 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	105039
    Last edited by wizard509; 06 December 2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Added text line
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Nice one, Wizard!

Nice one Larry, lot of frames but neat and clean, I like that.

Stygg

Nice job, how did you go about creating the animation?

Thank you Boy,Stygg, and laguna.

@laguna 92651 it was simple, first I set the line color and no fill, drew a short line, copied the frame, then contiNued the line, over and over. until one section was complete. Copied frame and pressed escape to start on the next sectiion repeaded copying frames and extending line. Thiis procedure repeated over and over until drawing complete. That's why it had so many frames, but it probably should have had more.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Nice animated gif Larry. However I must admit to confusion on where this thread is supposed to be going. The OP quoted:
    In the end I need svg files, doing a whiteboard animation.
    So this can be done in Xara and whiteboard software. My only experience is of whiteboard software is VideoScribe and I can't comment on other whiteboard software.

There are several factors to take into account here. I've explained that Xara generated SVG's don't import correctly size-wise into VideoScribe unless the SVG file isn't first stripped of it's def tags in Notepad. Once this is done the file imports correctly. Don't know who's to blame for this, probably the svg format and it's many variants.

The other problem I have is with VideoScribe, a quirky and overpriced piece of software. It can only export animations as .mov, .flv and .wmv, all video formats otherwise as .png or .jpg sequence files which I assume can be used in Flash and other gif type animation programs. You really should be able to export as an animated svg at least.

Finally you can remove the drawing tool, hand, pencil, pen etc with "none" just to get an animation similar to a gif rendering but it's still a video format.

I probably won't renew my annual subscription to VideoScribe next yearas it's to expensive, the UI is rubbish and the lack of SVG animation.

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I see your confusion Egg. I like yours bye the way. Reminds me of Fred Flintstone of whom I am a big fan. Sorry I kind of forgot about that part about svg files. Even so I wanted to do an animated line.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509