Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Paste>paste size" is cropping the image, instead of resizing it.

Hi,

I'd appreciate your help. I'm using XDP 16.
    As you can see in this screencast (http://bit.ly/2IkIwxR), "paste>paste size" is cropping the image, instead of resizing it.
    Is it possible to "paste size" expecting resizing the image?

Thanks for the assistance,
    Carlos

Default Re: "Paste>paste size" is cropping the image, instead of resizing it.

I have never used Paste Size (I did not even know this existed).

What do you want to do? Can you give us steps?

All images shown in the video had the same size.
    So the smaller image you see tom top-left was resized using the handles directly.
    For the other image, instead of resizing manually, I copied the smaller image, than I was expecting to "paste>size" on the other image, obtaining the same size as output.
    However, "paste>paste size" is cropping the image, instead of resizing it.
    I remember using "paste>paste size" before, having image resize as output. This is what I was trying to reach, and I'm wondering how to achieve it.
    As an additional test, I created two identical shapes and tried the same process (1)copy > (2)paste>size.
    It worked properly with the shapes, which leads me to think there is some issue with raster images. Maybe a tweak can change the behavior from cropping to resizing raster images?
    I recorded the video again showing the full process: http://bit.ly/2SYMkc9
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    All images shown in the video had the same size.
    So the smaller image you see tom top-left was resized using the handles directly.
    For the other image, instead of resizing manually, I copied the smaller image, than I was expecting to "paste>size" on the other image, obtaining the same size as output.
    However, "paste>paste size" is cropping the image, instead of resizing it.
    I remember using "paste>paste size" before, having image resize as output. This is what I was trying to reach, and I'm wondering how to achieve it.
    As an additional test, I created two identical shapes and tried the same process (1)copy > (2)paste>size.
    It worked properly with the shapes, which leads me to think there is some issue with raster images. Maybe a tweak can change the behavior from cropping to resizing raster images?
    I recorded the video again showing the full process: http://bit.ly/2SYMkc9
    Cheers!
    It seems to be another "improvement" from Xara: v11/v12/v15 resize and v16 crops.

All I can offer is Copy the shaping object then Paste > Position on the image and finally use (Ctrl+)Shift+Drag to snap the image onto the shaping image.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have never used Paste Size (I did not even know this existed).
    What do you want to do? Can you give us steps?
    Paste size This option applies the size of a copied object on the clipboard to a currently selected
    object, which resizes around its center to the exact size of the copied object.
    If you have multiple items selected when you ‘paste size’, each of those objects is made
    the target size, instead of the selection as a whole. So for example if you copy a 200x200
    pixel photo, then select 10 other photos and ‘paste size’, all 10 photos each become
    200x200 pixels. This gives a quick way to make a bunch of objects a particular size.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hmm? It changes the size of the selected object to the size of whatever you copied to the clipboard.

How have I lived so long never using this feature?

do you actually need to do that? surely if you just manually resize the object, by entering the value of the [primary] axis of the reference object, it will resize around it's centre anyway ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    do you actually need to do that? surely if you just manually resize the object, by entering the value of the [primary] axis of the reference object, it will resize around it's centre anyway ?
    A strong point of the original was a batch process to avoid having to handcraft each and every image.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hmm? It changes the size of the selected object to the size of whatever you copied to the clipboard.
    How have I lived so long never using this feature?
    It has its uses. Years ago, i wanted to scale and position stars that appears to be expanding away from each other.

This helps for such an adventure.

Acorn

Many thanks you all for the replies!

I have a shortcut attached to "paste>size", so resizing was so easy to achieve:
    Ctrl+C then Alt+V(paste>size)
    I can't imagine any way to resize (based on other size) easier than "Ctrl+C then Alt+V(paste>size)".

Anyway, I just did an experience. Screencast: http://bit.ly/2T0pmBf
    With lock aspect ratio on, I copied the width of the reference image, then pasted into the width of the destination image.
    It works for a single image, but to multiple selected images the destination width is applied to the group.
    And using my old method "Ctrl+C then Alt+V(paste>size)" I could batch change dozens of images at once.

I'm sad with the so-called "improvement":

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It seems to be another "improvement" from Xara: v11/v12/v15 resize and v16 crops.
    By pasting size raster images being croped doesn't make sense. I can't see usage for that, but how I'm start missing the image resizing. Could we ask "dear xara" to review it non-sense behavior?