Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Videos not showing up on Safari on iPad

Hi--I've added several videos to a page on my site, and they are showing up fine on all web browsers I've checked so far (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc) on my Windows laptop, except for my iPad. There are blank spots where the play buttons should be, but only on the iPad. My iPhone 8 Plus is loading the webpage correctly. I can't figure out what the problem is--why everything but Safari on the iPad is being affected. Assistance would be greatly appreciated if anyone has time. Thanks so much!

http://www.10thdimensionparanormalgr...018summary.htm

Default Re: Videos not showing up on Safari on iPad

Only guessing but are all your videos using Flash?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Only guessing but are all your videos using Flash?

Acorn
    No, Acorn, at least I'm not intentionally using Flash. These videos are small .mp4 files, and I am using the "import" feature on Xara to add them to the page. Once the clip is imported, Xara is creating a rectangular box with play button on it, and the only question it's asking me is if I want the videos to play automatically when the page is loaded (I don't). I noticed it may have been an issue with Flash also, because when I tried to load that page on Google Chrome, there's an error message that says "Adobe Flash Player is blocked." So they won't play on Chrome, after all.

I know Flash is not generally recognized or used on Apple products, which is why I don't understand why I can view them on my iPhone 8+ Safari, but not on the iPad. I'm not intentionally using Flash, but I wonder if Xara is somehow using that program when it's importing the files and creating the clip on the page. I'm not experienced enough of a web designer to know what's going on here...

I'm not sure what else I could do in this case except upload these video clips to YouTube, which I'd rather not do since we have so many of them and they are (mostly) very short clips.

Thanks for your help and advice!

It is a Flash issue. This is what I see if I open your site in Opera on my PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	126443  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    It is a Flash issue. This is what I see if I open your site in Opera on my PC.
    Thank you, Egg. So is there a way to get around this issue with Flash, then? Is there another way to add videos besides importing them?

Why would Xara use Flash for videos when there are so many Apple products on the market now that don't use Flash?

Thanks!

I prefer to upload video or audio files separately and use place holders to display the content. I find moving placeholders easier and quicker than moving imported files, especially if they are quite large. I also think the publishing process is quicker.

Optional: Using an FTP program like FileZilla, create a folder called mp4 (or anything meaningful) and upload your video files to that folder.
    Create a rectangle the size you want your video to be.
    Select the rectangle and click: Utilities > Web Properties > Placeholder > HTML Code (Body).
    Enter the following code and alter the red text to suit your needs:

<video controls="controls" <source src="https://your_domain.com/mp4/hs01.mp4" width="850" height="478" type="video/mp4" />

You can then copy that placeholder to other locations in your site and simply change the name of the video (hs01). Quick and easy.

There are other lines of code you can add to do different things. Search on the 'Net for options if you're curious.

Looking further I saved the first video & posted it to my server. I then created a placeholder with an iframe link:

<iframe src="https://parkeston.com/videos/Please%20dont%20go.mp4" width=100% height=100% scrolling=no frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0></iframe>
    Tested this in Opera and it worked fine, no request to load Flash. IE however wanted to know if I wanted to download the file.

Perhaps you can merely upload your videos to a folder on your server named 'videos' and call them via placeholders in Xara?

Let me know when you see this works and I'll delete the video from my server.

Preview attachment in Xara.

PS Try naming your videos with hyphens (-) rather than spaces, it makes them more readable than %20
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

We have a paranormal connection Egg. If 'normal' applies to us.

Why is Xara software using Flash at all in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I prefer to upload video or audio files separately and use place holders to display the content. I find moving placeholders easier and quicker than moving imported files, especially if they are quite large. I also think the publishing process is quicker.

Optional: Using an FTP program like FileZilla, create a folder called mp4 (or anything meaningful) and upload your video files to that folder.
    Create a rectangle the size you want your video to be.
    Select the rectangle and click: Utilities > Web Properties > Placeholder > HTML Code (Body).
    Enter the following code and alter the red text to suit your needs:

<video controls="controls" <source src="https://your_domain.com/mp4/hs01.mp4" width="850" height="478" type="video/mp4" />

You can then copy that placeholder to other locations in your site and simply change the name of the video (hs01). Quick and easy.

There are other lines of code you can add to do different things. Search on the 'Net for options if you're curious.
    ----------------------
    Thanks so much Chris and Egg!! I'm getting ready to head out for the evening--I'll take a look at all of your information tomorrow. Thanks so much for the tips, instructions and info. I grateful you spelled out how to do this, because I still have a LOT to learn regarding all of this. I greatly appreciate it!! https://www.talkgraphics.com/images/...miley-grin.png