Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Guest Guest

Default Re: Is there a way to dynamically resize the webpages?

Hi Mike,
    I only reacted on your "(fixed)size is fine, most people don't maximize their Browswers anyway-comment".

You with your answer open up quite a few new cans of worms I did not suggest to discuss.
    In short: Muse indeed is capable to do variable widths. I don't have it installed any more because I don't like that one has to rent the Software.
    So I can not provide a Screenshot. Also I referred to Artisteers html-page creation feature which indeed allows for dynamic page-widths.
    One does not have to use the program to output cms-templates. While I understand that Artisteer is not an option for hardcore web-pro's
    I as a End-User am not interested in the look of the code it outputs for as long as the page behaves and loads half way fast.

Finally I find the the article you linked to surprisingly narrow minded for people who obviously do nothing but Webdesign an User-Interface-Design all day long.
    It seems that noone of these guys could even imagine a time in which professional publishing to the Web indeed had nothing to do with (hand) writing code any more.
    Neither I can (certainly not) nor Adobe with Muse even wants to provide an answer on how that could work.
    Last edited by polyxo; 18 May 2012 at 04:01 PM.

No worries. Look at stats for screen resolutions in use and determine what that means as regards browser view ports. I think you'll find that even if someone maximizes their browsers, there is on average only Xpx in usable width for the majority of browser users.

I don't make fixed-pages with two exceptions. I do limit every site in widths. I use max-width and min-width every time. Why? Because I don't want the sites to "break" their layouts. Too large of width and a site becomes more difficult to read following long text lines. Too narrow and a site can flow poorly. So regardless of how wide a browser is sized, at some point (usually between 960px and 1024px) the width will be limited and there will be either a background image or color that fills the remainder of the sides of the pages proper.

I do believe there is a place in web dev for tools such as Xara et al. And I have finished off a couple sites using a different fixed-width web tool for other developers that got stuck in accomplishing something. Works fine. But these tools are a long, long way off from replacing tools such as EW and DW, much less CMS systems.

There is a place for them all.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    ...In short: Muse indeed is capable to do variable widths. I don't have it installed any more because I don't like that one has to rent the Software...
    See, I did not remember that Muse was capable of liquid layout. So this quote is from one of the Muse Team, from April of this year.

Apr 4, 2012 11:40 AM

Truly variable width "liquid" layouts are not supported. However, visual designs that fill the full browser width are possible using browser fill image tiling and 100% width page items. Also page item pinning and browser fill scrolling can be leveraged to create designs where content moves relative to each other when the browser window height or width changes.

We may be exploring responsive layout options for Muse in the future, but right now it is fixed width only.
    This is no different than what we are discussing about Xara.

I do believe that Xara, Muse and other fixed-position web dev tools will need to learn to handle media query at some point to enable one to build a responsive site.

Take care, Mike