Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm seeking advice on whether to purchase Xara. I'm in the process of writing a book using some fairly old stuff, Windows 7. The book text is being typed in Word, but I cannot import scanned pictures and documents, nor clean them up and re-size them to integrate into the book text with Word. Can I bring a word document into Xara and import scanned documents and pictures into the word document, and also re-size them to fit into the book text using Xara? It would help if Xara also has a function like Photoshop to clean up some of the imports, but not essential. Thanks for the help, if I join the Xara club I'm sure I'll have more questions.
It is possible but might not be the best software for you.

Ignore Page & Layout designer 11. It is deprecated as only 32-bit so will have no future updates. To be safe download Xara Web Designer Premium (XWDP) as a first trial.
If most of what you need can be done with this, use that. If you register, you get a 30-day trial. Aim to complete your project in that period.

If required, download Xara Designer Pro X (use XDPX for another 30 days) to finish off or add in those extras missing in the first download.

Make sure your master off your copy as PDF (XDPX only but consider Print to PDF from Preview), DOCX & RTF to ensure you can edit with some other free tool subsequently.

Look at https://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/compare/ to see what you get.

Have you checked the collection of free applications PortableApps.com offers? DTP for free, photo editing for free.

Xara has some good clean-up images tools, mainly in XDPX, that you can experiment with.

Acorn