Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Gare's non-Xara Art

Oh, I truly hope your last line was tongue-in-cheek, Frank. Yeah, I've been putting ideas down on paper since I was age 6, but it's not how I make my living. I'm a career author, and I try in each of the 25 books I've written in the past 20 years to make the point that the execution of an idea shows a lot of different things: style, technique, technical prowess, use of color, perspective, and so on.

But if there is no idea, or a poor one, behind the execution of artwork, ultimately it fails. I'm always initially intrigued by "high gloss" artwork, probably because as a race, we are all subliminally attracted to bright, shiny things. But it lacks sustaining power, like so much fast food, and ultimately it doesn't nourish a person's soul. You can't embrace "Flash artwork"; you can't learn from it when there's no concept driving it, it's just really nice wallpaper in the end.

Bear with me now: art...painting, drawing, whether it's with physical media or digital...is an avenue of self-expression. So is music, theater, dance, it's all self-expression and even Albert Einstein concluded that it's something Mankind can't live without.

Now me? I teach Art, and I've always told people that technique (skill, whatever you call it) can be taught and learned over time. Computers are simply (!) calculating machines. I use them to calculate where a highlight should go optically, or to repeat a pattern 1,000, but my computer has never created artwork. It's "concept" people need to work on, a mental muscle that takes inspiration from all around us, twists and re-interprets it, and gives birth to a new graphical idea.

I am more proud of a "student" who had become an Idea Factory, but currently lacks finesse in their execution of these ideas, than I am of someone who can reproduce a photograph using all vector paths.

Get it? One person has become a really good Xerox machine, and the other thinks for a living.

When I'm lucky enough to have the spare time to draw, I savor it, and reach into my bag where I keep ideas that need realization, and then choose my tools that I feel are the most appropriate to create the idea, and offer the least resistance. I reach for Xara a lot of times, but not all the time, and I'd ask everyone who reads this to think about that for a moment. It's really, honestly, sincerely, saying a lot about Xara. A quick check of my hard drives shows that I have 24,000 Xara drawings, and 37,000 modeling files, created using at least 7 different programs over the past 19 years.

If you're into statistics, that's pretty close, eh?

Enjoy your Friday, everyone!

My Best,

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cookies-enabled.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	84257

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Get it? One person has become a really good Xerox machine, and the other thinks for a living.
    100% - but sometimes you get no favours for saying so...
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 September 2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: fix quote
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I write books.

I get lousy reviews sometimes.

As a consequence, I never expect favours.

By taking this somewhat negative mindset, I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone thanks me!

—Gary

Name:	Winged-X.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	84258
    Last edited by Gare; 23 September 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Well Gare, your reply to Frank certainly got me thinking When I look back at some of my favourite pieces of art that I have done I think that the ones I like best are the ones I enjoyed doing the most.

I love the Cookie Monster! He has always been one of my favourite Sesame Street Characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Oh. Yeah, Frances, thanks for reminding me. I forgot to mention: if you don't enjoy what you're doing, you're either doing it wrong, or should do something else.

This is a happy mash-up of photorealistic, painting, and drawing styles. I did use Xara to massage the overall composition, truth be known.

I felt for it to work, I needed to choose a very simple, easy-to-parse subject, such as a still life. The travel mug is one of my favorite coffee mugs, and I almost never travel with it.

Name:	brushes-in-mug.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	84271

—Gary

Summer technically began last week.

Technically, I pay no attention to calendars, because technically we live in Central NY which has the sloppiest Autumns in the world.

Harumph,

Name:	Flowers _in_ September.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	84275

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like these last two a lot, of course flowers appeal to me I like how the 3D and 2D elements blend together so well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.