Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another book project

In addition to my wife's photo book, I just completed my 6th paperback book project. This is the second book for this author who was a columnist for the Chicago Tribune.

I used Georgia for the book text and SF Movie Poster for the cover text and chapter titles.

Interestingly SF Movie Poster is a free font, but only for non-commercial use so I had to pay for a license so the font would embed properly in the document.

The book was self published though KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing).

Even though mwenz is always telling me there are better programs for publishing, I know Designer Pro and know how to kicking and screaming, get it to do what I need it to do. And my favorite feature is the tracking control which I use liberally to expand and contract the text to eliminate widows or expand a widow to two or three words.

For the cover, I used a photo of the author which I processed in Prisma on my iPhone, saved then processed in Waterlogue, also on my iPhone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover-The Story.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	123681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spread 1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	123682  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spread 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	123683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text sample.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	123684  

Default Re: Another book project

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    In addition to my wife's photo book, I just completed my 6th paperback book project. This is the second book for this author who was a columnist for the Chicago Tribune.

I used Georgia for the book text and SF Movie Poster for the cover text and chapter titles.

Interestingly SF Movie Poster is a free font, but only for non-commercial use so I had to pay for a license so the font would embed properly in the document.

The book was self published though KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing).

Even though mwenz is always telling me there are better programs for publishing, I know Designer Pro and know how to kicking and screaming, get it to do what I need it to do. And my favorite feature is the tracking control which I use liberally to expand and contract the text to eliminate widows or expand a widow to two or three words.

For the cover, I used a photo of the author which I processed in Prisma on my iPhone, saved then processed in Waterlogue, also on my iPhone.
    Hi Gary,
    looks good. Like the font for text.

So what I see is this book a softcover? If Yes then makes it sinn to do the spine a little bigger. Otherwise here in ole Germany this is a fault.

Cheers Ernie

Looks good to me Gary. I especially like the cover art.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Ernie - Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing does not offer this option. But when you consider the cost of printing on demand, around $3.50 per copy, it makes it possible to market your work on Amazon.

...or expand a widow to two or three words...
    Gary, do you think Egg could provide a video for this?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Good job. Beautiful cover art.

Even though mwenz is always telling me there are better programs for publishing, ...

That's because there are.

But I guess this issue can be found under, better the devil ya know...

Gary, you are so talented in many fields, that often we just take it for granted. So, just for the record, accept praise for being talented.
    TJB

Your talent always amazes me, Gary.

Ernie - Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing does not offer this option. But when you consider the cost of printing on demand, around $3.50 per copy, it makes it possible to market your work on Amazon.
    Hi Garry,
    I never worked with Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing so I don't know there requirements.

If I design books then only for bigger publishing houses where the books will be printed in professionell offsetprint and bind as softcover or hardcover.

We in Germany still pay a lot of attention to classic book typesetting and typography. That's why I wondered why you have more room inside the waistband than outside.

Good luck.