Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Running YouTube across Variants

In https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ot-Solved-quot, I demonstrated moving a YouTube Video to a different part of the DOM caused the video to restart.

I got round this here by only moving the video the once so it appears in all Variants.
    To resize it, I have used a clever CSS scaling of width and left edge using the size unit vw.
    In my design the video is half the width of the browser width (width: 50vw) and is centred (left: 25vw).
    This works well for the lesser Variants, but in Main I had to set a width throttle. When the browser gets too wide, the video drifts to the left.
    Feel free to fix this.

The code is a one-liner: <script>$('#wrapper').parent().appendTo('#xr_bph') .css({"zIndex": "9999", "left": "25vw", "width": "50vw", "max-width": "1440px"});</script>
    The video is wrapped inside <div id="wrapper" style="position: relative; width: 100%; padding-bottom: 56.25%; /* 16:9 */ height: 0;">...</div>
    I have used the OBJECT/EMBED tagging approach rather than VIDEO as I am working without SSL; the browser moans relentlessly in Preview with VIDEO. You need both for iPhone.

The rest of the details are in the design: JS - YouTube Handling.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Running YouTube across Variants

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ....When the browser gets too wide, the video drifts to the left.
    Feel free to fix this.
    I wouldn't even dream trying this. :-)

But thanks for sharing this solution. Too bad that Xara doesn't make an effort to tackle the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I wouldn't even dream trying this. :-)

But thanks for sharing this solution.
    Me either
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Works excellently Acorn. 1 point (as always), toggle video just leads to [object Object] in Firefox. Not that I'd worry as I'd never use toggle video.
    I'm glad you understand this stuff. Saved in my goodies folder
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Works excellently Acorn. 1 point (as always), toggle video just leads to [object Object] in Firefox. Not that I'd worry as I'd never use toggle video.
    I'm glad you understand this stuff. Saved in my goodies folder
    Cheers Egg, for FF add void just after javascript: in the link followed by a space; it should then work.

I only tested in Chrome and Edge.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Just tried that Acorn:

javascript: void (wp.css("zIndex")==9999) ? wp.css("zIndex", 0) : wp.css("zIndex", 9999);
    Still not working
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Just tried that Acorn:
    Still not working
    Egg, what does work in FF is javascript: void ((wp.css("zIndex")==9999) ? wp.css("zIndex", 0) : wp.css("zIndex", 9999));
    Wrapping void around the other code within brackets.

Acorn

BINGO!
    Egg

Try new one browser-level lazy-loading Youtube for iframes web.dev

Quote Originally Posted by peter777 View Post
    Try new one browser-level lazy-loading Youtube for iframes web.dev
    Peter, welcome to TalkGraphics.

I have allowed your link as it is a useful inclusion.
    I will be adding loading="lazy" to my IFRAMES from now.

This might not work for those in pop-up layers.
    It requires "display: none or visibility: hidden applied."
    Just checked and it works fine!

The lazy loading is browser-level and not just for YouTube.

It really help if you include such detail in your Post; it saves guessing.

Acorn

UPDATE
    When running in a pop-up layer, closing and re-opening resets the video to its original start point.
    Last edited by Acorn; 15 December 2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Corrected parameter