Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Image and text skewing / distorting megathread

Guys Rob is asking for actual examples. Put together a .xar file or post a png image showing how you would use squishing/stretching. Want this feature back? Lets fill this thread with examples!

Text squishing and stretching can be very useful for headlines. It used to be so simple to fit headlines that way. It also adds a bit of visual variety to your headlines while still maintaining a single font.

In the attached .xar file I have 2 examples of how i used to use stretching/sqiushing on headlines. I would be happy with a modifier key I could hold down while dragging side and top /bottom handles to allow me to have that ability again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by angelize; 04 January 2018 at 10:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

here is another example this time it is a bit of descriptive text under an image. The image has text repelling set so there is only going to be so much space for the description/by line/ etc.

Again I had to reset the aspect ratio and play around with it by trial and error to get a good result and it took me far longer than it would have if I could have just grabbed the side of the text area and squished it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textdistort.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	119739  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you angelize, this is very useful to send back to them!

Do you have any examples for images as well?

Many thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    ... Put together a .xar file or post a png image showing how you would use squishing/stretching. Want this feature back? Lets fill this thread with examples!
    Why? - it should just be fixed... [and I gave examples earlier - I have not got the time to play beta tester anymore]

what worries me about this thread is that instead of just restoring a basic bitmap editing fuction that is so fundamental it should never be in question, Xara is considering implementing another of their 'oh look a fancy new way of doing something that will probably have yet more unintended consequences elsewhere' features

maybe they could just implement another class of object that is actually a bitmap pure and simple for those of us who need it, and not a fill in a shape container pretending to be one -heck I might even upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Why? - it should just be fixed... [and I gave examples earlier - I have not got the time to play beta tester anymore]
    Because I'm trying to convince those who make the decisions that this is important to have and they would like to see some real examples of this. Saying this is just how something should be isn't going to change anything unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Because I'm trying to convince those who make the decisions that this is important to have and they would like to see some real examples of this. Saying this is just how something should be isn't going to change anything unfortunately.
    I'll repeat what I wrote to Kate in another thread...

When Xara thinks it knows better than the people using their software, that should be the first clue you are doing something wrong.
    And I mean it. If the PTB have to be convinced that what we do or want to do is "not the way it should be done," then get rid of the PTB and bring in someone with the vision to propel Xara products forward into the 21st century...because it is regressing backwards when it should be moving forwards.

What's next? Limiting fonts to only the dozen web-safe fonts? Not that it would affect me but that would kill any usage of the thing for web work. But as long as you (Xara) are trying to make the application idiot proof, I can come up with a dozen or more ways to try (in the end, that is a fool's errand, though).

I like Gary's thought of a warning as long as it only affects publishing to the web.

BTW.

ALL Professional layout applications have the ability to set horizontal and vertical scaling of type, typically even within the paragraph and/or character style sheets, aside from on the fly local formatting. In fact, this is typically part of the justification settings in a style, aside from a separate setting.

It is just mind-boggling to think that Xara removed this from a vector design application.

Why not actually learn how design works and how your products actually are used by consulting people in the field rather than sit in a mansion dreaming this crap up?

+1 Mike

At the very least, it would have been wise to float this idea in the beta forum to get feedback before arbitrarily making this decision.

Going from Non-Destructieve Editing to Self-Destructive Management; The Story behind the Decline and Fall of a once-great Company.

Management has lost touch with its client base and is clearly looking down on it while pursuing airy objectives from its ivory tower.

Seems to me underhand and disrespectful to remove a basic long standing feature without mentioning it, then attempt to justify the decision with a weak argument. Surly it's a fundamental (vector application) expectation that unlocking the aspect ratio padlock allows you to distort whatever is selected, including (and especially) text!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	padlock.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	119766
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022