Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: XaReg 2 Released

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    It would have been nice to know before I started on a replacement project.
    Have you ever asked the only remaining developer if XaReg is discontinued before you started a replacement project?

My only incentive was NOT to lose what Bill had started.
    Have you ever proposed your help to continue XaReg? What Bill had started is now XaReg2. What will you do NOT to lose it?

Is this one going to be open source?
    No. There are other ways to make sure it will survive.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    1. Is this the same original VB codebase or a total rewrite in C# or some other language?
    No. Source code written by Bill was lost. XaReg2 is based on Xetup X.

2. Is John Horn actively involved in development or are you the sole developer going forward?
    Yes, I am involved. Since it was me who inspired Bill to develop XaReg long time ago, I felt that continuation of that project would be a best tribute I could make to him. I was the only person to propose Steve a help in continuing XaReg soon after Bill was gone.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by morris View Post
    I don't know whether this is the right place to ask: have you considered adding (to XaReg) a possibility to create a list of predefined line widths and zoom levels (that will be presented in respective comboboxes)?
    Unfortunately, these settings are not present in registry.
    John.

It's a bit rich to accuse people of not offering to help in a project when they had no idea it was being developed and which you and Steve kept quiet about even while people were talking about an alternative in public.

(Would you like to tell us now what other secret projects you're working on. Maybe we can help with them? ;-)

Phil

AS someone who has never used this utility I cannot comment on that side. What I will say is that clearly all parties concerned did this in their own time to help the community and they are to be thanked for their efforts. In hindsight perhaps the team developing a replacement should have contacted one of the original developers to ask whether they were continuing with the utility, if not then do it with their blessing and if they were then offer a hand. On the other side if it was known that grace et all were developing then they should have let them know that they were also working on giving the community a surprise - isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Isn't the guides colour kind of a redundant registry change as this can be done easily in the program its self with out any need for messing with the registry at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I think the reverse tab order in the color editor has been fixed in WD 9 and I should think it will be fixed in the next release of DP 9.

But this is good for previous versions.

Thanks again John and Steve, (and Bill).

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Unfortunately, these settings are not present in registry.
    Create new REG_SZ value named PredefZoomLevels in HKCU\Software\Xara\XtremePro\8.1\Options\Preferences key, and set it to "1410;966;300;256;128;99;48;32;6" (without quotes). Run Designer Pro and see what's in the Zoom Factor dropdown

As for the line widths, the value name (also of REG_SZ type) is LineWidthsPoints in the same key.

You may also want to check out a value named WheelZoomLevels in ...\Options\Mouse key - set it to "8;33;99;300;900;1200;1300" and see what happens when you zoom by mousewheel.

This works with Xara versions 6, 7 and 8 (at least with Pro versions). I haven't checked versions 4 and 5.

I asked Steve a couple of times and was told the source was lost when Bill died. I only proposed the new project because I thought that any chance for updates was lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    AS someone who has never used this utility I cannot comment on that side. What I will say is that clearly all parties concerned did this in their own time to help the community and they are to be thanked for their efforts. In hindsight perhaps the team developing a replacement should have contacted one of the original developers to ask whether they were continuing with the utility, if not then do it with their blessing and if they were then offer a hand. On the other side if it was known that grace et all were developing then they should have let them know that they were also working on giving the community a surprise - isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by morris View Post
    Create new REG_SZ value named PredefZoomLevels in HKCU\Software\Xara\XtremePro\8.1\Options\Preferences key, and set it to "1410;966;300;256;128;99;48;32;6" (without quotes). Run Designer Pro and see what's in the Zoom Factor dropdown

As for the line widths, the value name (also of REG_SZ type) is LineWidthsPoints in the same key.

You may also want to check out a value named WheelZoomLevels in ...\Options\Mouse key - set it to "8;33;99;300;900;1200;1300" and see what happens when you zoom by mousewheel.

This works with Xara versions 6, 7 and 8 (at least with Pro versions). I haven't checked versions 4 and 5.
    I've just checked Xtreme 4 (not Pro) and these Registry settings are supported. So I guess Xtreme5 supports them too

PredefZoomLeves and LineWidthsPoints values may be in any order (ascending or descending) - depends on what order you prefer when you open the combobox, while WheelZoomLevels must be ascending (otherwise it won't work).