Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Help with probably my last rodeo

Apologies for being tardy.

"I find screens very much a personal preference affair...Wander into Big Box store to see
    the difference of the ones on display."
    "your eyes and your viewing are your guide"

Subjectivity is a crutch for those that can't read my mind. Really...must I do everything?

When I render an image in mandelbulber or structure synch or any fractal app I would like
    the design/colors to grab me by the cojones. When I render a scene in pov-ray I want to
    be blown away by the richness of the colors. When I use a uv editor to apply textures to
    faces I want that mesh to be alive with the textures. Everything I do now involving color
    "seems" to be wildly under whelming. It does grab me. But by the throat (as in cough, cough).
    On the other hand am I a victim of my own imagination? Have I bought an expectation from
    Nvidia marketing that cannot be realistically met?

Thanks everyone for giving me advice from your considerable knowledge and experience.
    At the end of the day if I pony up and my expectations are met it's on me. If I'm disappointed
    it's on you.

stephen

Quote Originally Posted by OLD.GEZIER View Post
    At the end of the day if I pony up and my expectations are met it's on me. If I'm disappointed
    it's on you.
    Haha, we share the same philosophy to life.

Actually, what you described in partial jest is quite helpful in knowing what you're looking for. The visual effects you describe will have more to do with the screen itself than the hardware pushing the image.

Look for a screen that has a glass panel rather than the 'plastic' feel that is very common. High contrast rate and a bright LED back light will better produce the results you're looking for. I'm not a Dell fanboy, but I do think they supply very bright, crisp panels. I'm sure there's others, but the Dell ones stick in my memory.

Stephen, I think my main concern is that your 3D work may not require as much computer power as you think and as far as I know we haven't seen any examples of what you do.

If your 3D models aren't highly complex (in terms of polygons) your graphics card might be fine and give you good render times. It's really a question of knowing what is holding you back.

It's highly unlikely a beefier machine will make you a better 3D artist. A better hardware spec is probably not going to make POV-ray renders look better - that's down to your skill.

Looking at Paul's perspective: do you mean you'd like ALL images to be cleaner and pop more, or like Paul says, your own work? If the latter, then totally disregard everything I have written.

is this work just for you, or are you going to publish it on youtube [say] - if you publish, remember that what others see will be modified by their kit.....

that said i agree with what Chris has just said in the main

there is sometimes a compromise to made with monitors between colour gamut plus viewing angle and speed of response, I use an ASUS PB278QR 27 Inch Professional Monitor, WQHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, 100% sRGB, Flicker Free, Low Blue Light and a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24-4K Display/23.6 Inch Pen Display

the wacom is better but way above your budget, and possibly your needs if you don't want to draw on screen

the asus is listed around 700/800 GBP but you can pick it up from amazon UK at the moment for just over 220 GBP : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 maybe there will be offers where you live

I find both these monitors fine for what i do, which is, in the main, 2D animation with Harmony, I don't do 3D POVray type rendering

An asus GTX 1070 nvidia card will set you back 400/500 GBP if not on offer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but again may be cheaper where you live, and there are always other options to think about

good kit is not cheap unless you get 'a deal' from a reputable source

is it just the 3D that is disapointing or is the 2D as well? - if the former maybe the rendering engine needs looking at, they are not all the same

reiterate: be very careful about spending money - if you haven't already, might be an idea to seek advice on a 3D forum such as blender...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

just seen Paul's post - yes...

another monitor may make the work look better [to you], but just upping the kit willy-nilly is hit and miss - higher end graphics cards will speed the rendering; and maybe improve it in a technical way, but only if the rendering engine can take advantage of it

the art is all down to you...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn, you make a good point about how others will see it. My work is mainly text, music editing and swearing with the occasional simple graphic work. I throw my money at more screens to increase real estate and multiple Windows.

Non of my screens are IPS, nor 4K. As nice as they would be, I don't need the quality, therefore, I wouldn't see the same image(s) as you would. I would see cake, you would see gateau. Also, I'm just a peasant when it comes to arty things.

As for my 3d graphics:

"is this work just for you, or are you going to publish it on youtube [say] "

I have no business using 3d graphics.
    If you could see what I do you might say I have no business using 3d graphics

My use of this medium is all whimsy. It's a capricious exercise, excessively so.
    I do not look upon a mesh as the beginning of a work of art. I'm not looking to
    create a stunning figure, face or abstract object that will be appreciated by others.
    I have no artistic abilities whatsoever. And I would get no enjoyment pretending
    as if i had. What I do get enjoyment from is being a principled mesh sadist.
    It gives me great pleasure torturing my mesh. By using modifiers I see how I
    can bend, twist, swirl, swell, skew, bulge and taper this poor defenseless mesh.
    Then after catching a second wind I can use the points, edges and faces to
    play with. And of course the uv with textures follows. I find this an inspiring playfest.
    But it's just play. It's just entertainment. It's just fun. And it's personal only.
    "It's highly unlikely a beefier machine will make you a better 3D artist."
    I have a better chance of building a cyclotron than being recognized as an artist.
    The question asked and answered (I hope)

As for the graphics of others:

I greatly appreciate the exceptional talent of others. I thought that I could appreciate
    it even more when it comes to 3d graphics/fractals. Hence the motivation for getting
    advice and counsel. Hey do I really come across like someone who writes there
    own fractal code? Who writes there own structure synth eisenscript scripts? Hell
    no (at least not yet . But I can stand on the shoulders of those creatives who have
    done the heavy lifting. I thought I can stand yet a little higher with some better graphics.
    And if some graphic improvements come to my personal stuff I'll certainly take it. But
    make no mistake if I was only concerned with what I do I'd never make this post.
    By and by, I have 4 3d apps. All of them generate pov-ray files. Makes it very easy
    to render anything in pov-ray. Besides pov-ray comes with lots and lots of examples
    and there are many more examples to download.

much appreciated,
    stephen

what setting is your monitor on and have you calibrated it?

calibration is important - a visual calibration such as is provided by windows 10 may help the monitor colours look better to you [at least you don't yet need to sync two or more ]

type calibrate into the windows 10 search and click on Calibrate display colour Control panel - follow the instructions

do this under what for you are 'normal lighting conditions' - then try it at night with all other lighting off - see which works best

if you have changed any of your monitor settings I would recommend you put them all back to default first before you calibrate - you can then re-tweak them after as necessary
    Nothing lasts forever...