Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slider in Xara Not Clickable?

I am working with this slider from my Local Designs Gallery.

I placed links on all of the images to the associated articles on it, and one on the test phase of the website.

When clicking the image on the slider, it does not go to the article itself.

Does the slider have to be online to work to access the articles through it, or is there a setting needed on my part?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2021-10-03_195835.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	130741

Default Re: Slider in Xara Not Clickable?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchMed1 View Post
    I am working with this slider from my Local Designs Gallery.

I placed links on all of the images to the associated articles on it, and one on the test phase of the website.

When clicking the image on the slider, it does not go to the article itself.

Does the slider have to be online to work to access the articles through it, or is there a setting needed on my part?

Name:	image_2021-10-03_195835.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	130741
    AFAICT this looks like one of the Xara Fade Slideshows; clicking on a thumbnail moves you to its associated larger image, but adding a link on the main image does nothing (that's just the widget design).

Where you want a link from the main image, the Sliding, All Effects and Tile Slideshows offer this capability.

Alternatively, you can build your own with any capabilities you chose: e.g. https://initiostar.co.uk/projectslid..._projectslider || https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/zNivo/

Gary

Many thanks. Shame, it's a fine slider widget that I really liked and I expected it. I'll take a look at your suggested options.

It has to be a clickable item to bring up that specific article.

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    AFAICT this looks like one of the Xara Fade Slideshows; clicking on a thumbnail moves you to its associated larger image, but adding a link on the main image does nothing (that's just the widget design).

Where you want a link from the main image, the Sliding, All Effects and Tile Slideshows offer this capability.

Alternatively, you can build your own with any capabilities you chose: e.g. https://initiostar.co.uk/projectslid..._projectslider || https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/zNivo/

Gary
    Yes, the Sliding, All Effects and Tile Slideshows indeed do have the URL capability, yet they are set at 16.9 ratio and not 4.3, which is what I have. I would hate to have to redesign the Home Page due to the current slider capabilities, but URL capable is a must. My bad.

I checked out the initostar.co.uk site and for what I need it looks pricey.

I can't believe the older Xara Web Designer versions would not have such a slider with URL. At this point, I'm not sure if there is such a resource. Any points to...?

...and I doubt a custom could be built at 4.3 with the same capabilities from scratch or the current Xara slider in use modified. Cant see it.

I'll take any suggestions.

I checked out the initostar.co.uk site and for what I need it looks pricey.
    ????
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    ????
    I like some of the sliders Gary has on the site. I found his info site under the Xara demos page I had not seen before.

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/#xl_xr_page_index

Just saying. Looking into to further. Thanks, Egg.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 05 October 2021 at 04:21 AM. Reason: add more info

Quote Originally Posted by ArchMed1 View Post
    I like some of the sliders Gary has on the site. I found his info site under the Xara demos page I had not seen before.

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/#xl_xr_page_index

Just saying. Looking into to further. Thanks, Egg.
    You may be able to change the dimensions of some of the Xara sliders to achieve a photo ratio of 4:3, but I'm not going there - some work, some don't, and that's before you've even thought about how it works with a mobile variant.

Here is a 4:3 photo slider with a desktop and mobile variant; it incorporates a link to one of the posts that talk about supersliders (and includes the link to Egg's video on the same): https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/superslider/

You can access the native superslider from the above link and have a play with the XAR: Simple-Slideshow-Photo-Link.xar. You can have whatever links you choose, just don't overlap them.

The key takeaway is the flexibility the approach offers; the simplicity that updating one variant updates the others. It might look a little daunting at first, but in practice it is worth the time invested.

Hope this helps with the thoughts,

Gary

You may be able to change the dimensions of some of the Xara sliders to achieve a photo ratio of 4:3, but I'm not going there - some work, some don't, and that's before you've even thought about how it works with a mobile variant. Gary
    I gave that a shot, tried some experiments and it just did not work. Too bad. I figured there would have been older sliders from earlier XWD versions but nothing seen.

Here is a 4:3 photo slider with a desktop and mobile variant; it incorporates a link to one of the posts that talk about supersliders (and includes the link to Egg's video on the same): https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/superslider/ Gary
    Thanks much, Gary! It looks promising! I'm giving it a look over...

You can access the native superslider from the above link and have a play with the XAR: Simple-Slideshow-Photo-Link.xar. You can have whatever links you choose, just don't overlap them. Gary
    Appreciate! The .xar is helpful.

The key takeaway is the flexibility the approach offers; the simplicity that updating one variant updates the others. It might look a little daunting at first, but in practice it is worth the time invested. Gary
    I'm taking a look at this with an experienced slider member I PM'd to see it so I can get his comments on this. I have to consider myself an advanced novice and this is a bit above my head with code, but I learn quickly and the .xar example was the best. Thanks again. I'll post how it goes.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 06 October 2021 at 02:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Remembered one Xara slider where the dimensions can be changed, tested with v18.5 and a 4:3 photo ratio: Xara-Slider-Square-Checkerboard.xar

Name:	Xara Chequered Slideshow Widget.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	130758

Gary

Remembered one Xara slider where the dimensions can be changed, tested with v18.5 and a 4:3 photo ratio: Xara-Slider-Square-Checkerboard.xar

Name:	Xara Chequered Slideshow Widget.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	130758

Gary
    Thanks, Gary for these. These definitely offer some flexibility and the options are plentiful. Some better than others. I am new to the widget customization but I learn fast.

It is a bit disappointing that Xara does not offer more photo widget options in the regular package as a matter of aspect ration vs functionality. Someone should drop them a line. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere on the forum as well.

Best,

Arch Med1