Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Affinity Designer now released for windows

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Thanks for testing this!

I've just bought it, because they say I can return it. What I see so far is - for my narrow world of its usage - it is on par with Inkscape. The nondestructive part is good, but they simply left it out at "divide" where it would more or less reflect Xara's "ClipView". And boolean ops on groups seem not to exist.
    Xara misses these nondestructive booleans, but destructing is less of a problem, I usually keep a copy or draw something again. In contrast, I think repeating a task is a bit harder to do, e.g. when you want to cut something away from a group that has lots of shapes in it.
    So.. for my case it's unfortunately a bit more like DrawPlus. And I wish they would not have switched to a dark interface. Why did everyone switch to dark interfaces? I get depressed. I'm no vampire. Same with Xara (I forgot that command line switch).
    Clipping can be done by using the layers panel. Look up Clipping in the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001458.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	119040

The 1.6 release will have the option for a light interface. And no issues with it like in Xara products.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001459.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	119041

In any case, AD will be a useful application. It does need to mature and it will. But not bad for a 1.x application.

Default Re: Affinity Designer now released for windows

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Clipping can be done by using the layers panel. Look up Clipping in the help.
    Thanks for pointing me to this, I've looked it up, it works, one can do quite a lot with the layers, it's better than I thought.
    (though, clipping without using the (layer) organizer panel and looking more at the drawing would be nice)

Serif seem also to be working on a envelope warping (mould) tool, at the moment. In DrawPlus there was one, but it had a slight tendency to crash, I think.

I think Affinity Designer could become great. They are developing at the core features, something like this.