Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Will lack of 4K be the DEATH of Xara?

thanks Acorn for digging out Charles Moir's commments and the reference from 2007

it seems clear from this that Xara GmbH are the cloud, and 'Xara of old' is now part of 'a german software company', Magix presumably; that has been my understanding ever since Xara GmbH was set up, but the status of the desktop development ongoing has never been made clear here on TG

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Once again, false information.
    sorry John, but if you have info that contradicts Magix owning at least part of Xara, perhaps you could share it ?

I recall Matt Bolton stating that 'Magix do not own Xara' but I am sure her was referring to Xara GmbH - no doubt if that is wrong he will drop by and put the record straight

Also I was very careful to stress that xara product never became mainstream, which is not a statement of failure in itself - lots of good apps are not, and that 'it' has now changed direction [again];

I would agree that is not 'commercial failure'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I stand corrected. I was going on the basis of what Matt Bolton said about Magix not owning Xara and missed the part about the Cloud part vs desktop. That said, I am sure that the Xara team has stated more than once that the Xara team, and not Magix, is doing Xara development and design, with Magix doing marketing type work. Maybe Rob can clarify how it all works on the Discord forum.

@Acorn, I don't see that you've joined the Xara forum on Discord. Rob-Xar is always logged in, even when he's sleeping it would seem, or listening to Spotify. And, with the exception of my posts yesterday and today, no one has posted anything there in a fortnight (how long is a fortnight?).

The point I really wanted to make is that some users start the doomsday ball rolling, like with this thread having the title "Will lack of 4K be the DEATH of Xara," and then others add a bit, others jump in after reading a bit but without understanding everything, and the next thing you know, Xara is going to the dogs, will die, Magix wants to get rid of Xara, it's all Magix' fault for whatever, and so on. Since Xara doesn't reply or no one tries to calm down these doomsday theories, people start to believe them.

Does this mean that if Xara fixes the 4K problem it won't die?

As for Magix marketing, I would like to point out that the marketing reach of Magix is far greater than that of whatever Xara had, now pretty much world-wide in many languages. The Magix.info forum has 6 languages. Xara problems in languages other than English, and even some in English, are raised on the Magix.info forum. Sadly, there is no TG for other languages, as far as I know.

Has anyone looked at the Magix.com website to see how the Xara line is presented? Here is just Xara DPX.

Another point, Magix has nothing else quite like Xara, at all. With the purchase of Sony Creative Software, Magix acquired many products that overlap with what they already had. Contrary to the naysayers who thought that Magix would dump either many of these or their competing legacy programs, Magix has managed to maintain, develop and improve most of these, if not all. Look at what they've done with Vegas. And at the same time, they have managed to develop and upgrade almost all of their legacy products. Xara itself is embedded in Magix's legacy video products (Movie Edit Pro, Video Pro X, PhotoStory), and is the go-to program for creating graphical overlays and masks. I can't see Magix not wanting Xara to succeed.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @Acorn, I don't see that you've joined the Xara forum on Discord. Rob-Xar is always logged in, even when he's sleeping it would seem, or listening to Spotify. And, with the exception of my posts yesterday and today, no one has posted anything there in a fortnight (how long is a fortnight?).
    Does this mean that if Xara fixes the 4K problem it won't die?
    I can't see Magix not wanting Xara to succeed.
    John, just because you haven't seen my acorn moniker does not mean I'm not there. You chose a different Avatar and Username: Discord JohnCB vs. TG's browj2. Equally, I chose TomPotBlenny and i have been quite active on Discord. I have Direct Messaged Rob a number of times too and you may have noticed my ask of 09 January. There is little point in raising question on TG or Discord if Xara fails to attend. TG is Xara's "official" online forum (XDA > Help > More 'XDA name' > Online forum --> https://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdi...-graphics-chat, so Xara knows who is calling [Knock-knock]). Rob is always ON as he acts as Discord Server support for a number of them.

The thread could have been written as "Does the survival of Xara hang on a 4K Delivery?", which is a directed question expecting a Yes or No response. The Thread heading is not so directed, leading to the debate so far.
    Debate it should be but, again, it is somewhat one-sided so Posters, in not getting feedback, will naturally veer off on one. It is down to xara to engage.

Magix needs to look at the Update Service overlain onto the XDAs. The result of trying to force renewals / subscriptions / Cloud components has resulted in nag-ware on a professional product. Magix support has repeated demonstrated a lack of product knowledge or actual understanding in the majority of support tickets I have raised.

TG tried with https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...German-Support for a short spell; it failed as Xara was marketed in UK and Canada (Corel) and has only slowly built up an international following. Perhaps Xara needs Magix but I do know we need Xara here.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

TomPotBlenny! I never would have guessed.

For the title of this thread, I would have just raised the issue and wondered if there was a workaround or if anyone knew anything about if and when the problem would be resolved. I would not have tied it to the future of the product.

Veering off into the Update Service, it has some benefits, principally getting new features and a new version. Given the seemingly one year cycle for a new version, buy (say, v16) two or three months after a new version comes out, and you get the next version (17) for free (so long as you don't have to reinstall, etc.). Download all from the OCC before expiry. Wait for a few month after v18 comes out, and renew. Unless, of course, you absolutely have to have something new.

On the other hand, getting the nag notice to renew upon startup is annoying. At least you don't even have the hope of shutting it off as there is no "Don't show this again" checkbox. In Movie Edit Pro, with great expectation and hope, you can click on "Don't show this again" and then the choices are either Renew or Cancel. Click on Cancel and the nag message keeps coming back.

Enough for today.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)