Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Is Corel Draw Suite X4 worth the upgrade price

Worth the upgrade price? probably not. However, the PowerTrace tool has got a lot better - I attach an Outline Trace (Line Art - default settings) of a photo of my house. I'm pleased with the result (Top picture). Much better than what X3 could produce. The user interface is better, and the "What The Font" integration is of minimal use, but better than having to leave the program to use it. As I have read very often over the years, it seems that the odd numbered releases are the ones to watch out for. Look forward to the XV (X5?) release in the middle of next year.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casitas.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	44783  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    As I have read very often over the years, it seems that the odd numbered releases are the ones to watch out for. Look forward to the XV (X5?) release in the middle of next year.
    Then logically, Corel could merely name their releases accordingly to boost sales, surely?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Then logically, Corel could merely name their releases accordingly to boost sales, surely?
    Steve, I'm quite sure you're right, most people sussed it out after the 9 release, (recognised alongside X3 as probably the last best advance on the previous releases). They then sought to bamboozle the punters by naming subsequent releases with the X prefix, hoping perhaps to con the less literate/numerate.
    But given that each new release comes out at about 18 month intervals, then we only have to remember to shell out once every 3 years. We only have to look out for the mid 2009, mid 2112 and so on releases. They can call them whatever they like. We don't have to fall for it. If Corel were honest, they would name the intervening releases as X (x.5). But when did corporations ever consider the honest route?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Gosh.... Bob
    IP

I'm more disputing the value of it at $199.00 US for upgrade price. At $99.00 I would more interested in an upgrade. I also have not upgraded from my Xara Extreme Pro yet still waiting there. I will admit that I'm somewhat of a software junkie however. My favorite use of software is photos and drawing.
    IP