Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: naming objects

Default naming objects

c
    Can some wise member please post a link to what the uses/benefits of naming objects are?
    I've searched this forum and xara support. The pdf manual mentions using them for animations - is this their only use?

Default Re: naming objects

From the Help File > Index > Naming Objects

Naming objects

You can apply names to any object in Web Designer 10 Premium using the Apply, remove or inspect names of objects button on the Selector Tool InfoBar.
    Naming is a general mechanism which has a variety of uses, some of which are described below. Most commonly names are used to form loose sets of objects.
    Example uses of names
    Animations: Names are used in animations to mark objects which are to be tweened. See the Animation chapter for full details.
    Adding names

To add a name to an object, select the object and open the Names dialog using the button on the Selector Tool InfoBar or right click on the object and choose Names...
    Type the new name into the Apply name field, or use the drop down list on the same field to select a name which is already used elsewhere in the current document. Click Add. You should see the name appear in the Names applied list.
    Names applied

The Names Applied field shows you the names applied to the current selection. If more than one object is selected, a list of names is only shown if all objects in the selection have exactly the same set of names applied. Otherwise "<many>" is displayed, indicating that there are differences in terms of the names applied to different objects in the selection.
    To remove a name from the selected object(s), click the name in the Names Applied list to select it and then click the Remove button.
    I created Named colors which then show up on my color palette. Also I use the filename="image name" to add names to photos so the names appear in the html document.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    From the Help File > Index > Naming Objects

I created Named colors which then show up on my color palette. Also I use the filename="image name" to add names to photos so the names appear in the html document.
    Thanks Gary.
    The image you posted is the bit I had read - thanks for the tips you personally use - this is what I was after!

Give a thing a Name and it becomes an Anchor (Web Properties > Link > Link to anchor).

An advanced feature is HTMLBlockText, described in http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...anced-features.

jpg as a Name forces a file to be generated as a JPEG; conversely, use png for PNG files.

htmlclass=<classname> allows for a number of objects to gain a CSS class for post-processing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for those Acorn!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    htmlclass=<classname> allows for a number of objects to gain a CSS class for post-processing.
    Acorn, could you give some examples and/or do a tut on this feature?

If you have a group with text in it, apply the name "HTMLText" to just the text and the text will get exported as text rather than part of an image.

Way too many texts in one sentence lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Acorn, could you give some examples and/or do a tut on this feature?
    Boy, here's an approach that Xara cannot achieve natively (a slow fade and on the Pasteboard):

CSS3 - Use of HTMLclass Name.web

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quite effective that Acorn.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry Acorn, I don't get it. Where can I find the HTMLclass name? And I don't see the fade either...