Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Will we ever have master pages in my lifetime?

Focus of Xara has been extensively on Fonts and adjustment feature of type so they really need to get the master page idea done or else why push for desktop features in the type department?

We had it 30 years ago. I think something got lost in translation when ported from RISCOS to Windows :-

http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/vol...st20/index.htm

Master pages
    Computer Concepts describe Impression as a Document Processor. Each document consists of one or more Chapters. Each chapter consists of one or more pages, and each page of one or more frames. As suggested earlier, you can place frames exactly where you need them, and move them around at will. But the effects which you create will only be valid for the current page.

To allow for conformity from page to page. Impression uses the concept of Master Pages. At the beginning of each new chapter (the start of a single page memo still counts technically as a new chapter), you can select an appropriate master page. The simplest has a single A4 sized frame, another has a two-column format, while yet others allow four columns on an A4 page held horizontally (allowing it to be folded over to make an A5 pamphlet (similar to the format used by RISC User). And if none of these are suitable, you can design your own. Master pages can also be used to supply a consistent logo or .banner to a sequence of pages, and to supply page numbers and other headers and footers - any of which may be over-ridden on specific pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Grafix Smelter View Post
    We had it 30 years ago. I think something got lost in translation when ported from RISCOS to Windows :-

http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/vol...st20/index.htm

Master pages
    Computer Concepts describe Impression as a Document Processor. Each document consists of one or more Chapters. Each chapter consists of one or more pages, and each page of one or more frames. As suggested earlier, you can place frames exactly where you need them, and move them around at will. But the effects which you create will only be valid for the current page.

To allow for conformity from page to page. Impression uses the concept of Master Pages. At the beginning of each new chapter (the start of a single page memo still counts technically as a new chapter), you can select an appropriate master page. The simplest has a single A4 sized frame, another has a two-column format, while yet others allow four columns on an A4 page held horizontally (allowing it to be folded over to make an A5 pamphlet (similar to the format used by RISC User). And if none of these are suitable, you can design your own. Master pages can also be used to supply a consistent logo or .banner to a sequence of pages, and to supply page numbers and other headers and footers - any of which may be over-ridden on specific pages.
    Great to see that.

I guess Impression was the child of Wordwise.

I don't think Xara Studio came from that branch of the family - it was never a word processor, it was a graphic design program with rudimentary text handling.

But Master Pages should have been done years ago, together with CMYK handling.

"Dongles", yes you just needed to move your Acorn further & further back from the wall
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Great to see that.

I guess Impression was the child of Wordwise.

I don't think Xara Studio came from that branch of the family - it was never a word processor, it was a graphic design program with rudimentary text handling.

But Master Pages should have been done years ago, together with CMYK handling.
    Impression was the child of InterWord which came out of Wordwise if I remember correctly.
    Xara came from ArtWorks, but it must have been the same development team. They may have changed names and platform, but the still work at the same mansion house with a swimming pool ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    "Dongles", yes you just needed to move your Acorn further & further back from the wall
    What you never made your own Dongle dangle parallel port ribbon?
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...fsCeLKJqa5j9Sg

No, just moved my computer further & further away from the wall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	124303  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The version of Impression Publisher I had did not need dongle.

Personally prefer Ovation Pro to Impression and it works on both RISC OS and Windows.