Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Feature Request: LivePaint / Paint Bucket tool

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post

We have all seen some of the amazing 'paintings' created with Xtreme and all in vectors. As a bitmap based illustrator I would love to be able to move entirely to vector art, specifically to Xtreme, but no matter how vector enthusiasts cut it , bitmap programmes have some better functions.

Xtreme is easy and intuitve to use, until you try to 'fill' spaces, 'airbrush' within a masked area, erase or create complex and natural brushes. Are these things beyond a vector programme?

Anyone must see the advantages of a vector fill tool. Especially those who are cartoonists or create lots of line drawings.
    Oh YES! YES! YES!

Give me but these 2 things:

a 'magic' eraser to erase within boundaries and a means to fill spaces within boundaries -
    and I could as good as throw photoshop in the bin.

Sort the brushes - ditto painter

ah is it that long to Christmas

EDIT - oh I almost forgot - being able to select a named color value within a bitmap - that would be really nice too [sigh]

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    The art is, to implement these functions in such a way that they offers the upsetting advantages of a vector graphic: editable and scalable all the time.

I'm not sure, which software company is able to go the next step into this direction.

Remi
    Remi

yes indeed.
    I was reminded elsewhere that psp9[jasc] is very good at editable/scalable/zoomable.
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 April 2007 at 02:33 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I was reminded elsewhere that psp9[jasc] is very good at editable/scalable/zoomable.
    I don't know PSP in detail, but the problem is, that Jasc was bought up from Corel (in 2004) and you know Corel...

I've just been looking at the latest Beta of Microsoft Expression, Blimey!

They have done a lot of work on it since I last checked it out, the interface has been completely redesigned, very slick, and the functions simplified and presented in a far more straight-forward way.

They are now including bitmap or vector elements in brushes (before it was all bitmap) and you can make a mask from any object (vector or bitmap), gradient fills and transparency, real time updates for tools and functions. This looks a damn sight better than the last edition.

I might try out the demo, if I can make time. Even so, I wasn't impressed with Expressions workflow last time I tried it and that is unlikely to have changed significantly, but we can live in hope.

I still think Xtreme could wipe the floor with Expression, - with a little work.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    I've just been looking at the latest Beta of Microsoft Expression, Blimey!
    MMW, Is there a gradient mesh tool or equivalent?

Also, it seems that if Xara were to support an open vector plug-in api, that it would open the door to some impressive enhancements from 3rd party vendors. Doesn't Illustrator have a vector plug-in format?

I haven't spotted a gradient mesh. Expression has all sorts of bells and whistles, but the major selling point is it's mix of bitmap and vector tools in one program.

I looked at trying it out, but, as you might expect with MS, things aren't quite that straight-forward. I would need to install a windows upgrade, which is bigger than the program!

It's not a big deal, I just can't be bothered, too busy right now.

Have a look; http://www.microsoft.com/products/ex.../features.mspx

One thing it has reminded me of is what Expression calls 'assets' and Xara calls the 'Clipart Gallery'. This could be better in Xtreme, especially managing the folders and contents. I am building quite a large a collection of my own clipart, but have to use Windows explorer to manage the various files.

You can drag and drop from a clipart folder, but not too one or between folders. To add clipart to a folder you have to save the .xar file to the folder and then refresh the thumbnails. This is clumsy, by Xaras standards.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 19 April 2007 at 11:59 AM.

I have the beta expression and the brushes are very nice, very responsive.
    The program however is definately beta.
    Some of the menu's are a bit awkward and unhelpful.
    Import/export is a little rough and ready still.
    The odd glitch or three here and there.
    But it shows a lot of promise.
    And yes you need MS .NET 3 installed first.
    Apart from playing with the brushes I don't use it much at present.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, it's definately not as intuitive as Xtreme, LOL!

Never the less, with Microsofts clout and the whole suit of related applications, this is bound to become a major contender in the CG stakes.

Not even Xara can afford to stand still.

I'm betting we see more emphasis on bitmap art and artists in the future of Xtreme or perhaps related products? It's an area that just cannot be ignored.