Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clarification needed on what content stays with current version

I am currently using 365 v 12 and was under the impression that whatever content came with that, ie., web or print templates, shapes etc., stayed with that, but in order to access new content which was released during the year, one had to update to the latest verion. My subscription just expired and now I cannot access any of the content that was available to me when I last renewed.
    With previous versions all content which was included with that particular version was available regardless of upgrading. Has this situation now changed?

Default Re: Clarification needed on what content stays with current version

Since posting this topic, I still had DTP Ver 11 on an older computer which I just opened and found that the content catalog that came with that was still available and was able to insert a sample into a new file as I have always done. It would appear therefore that
    by upgrading v11 to 12 that I lose all design gallery online content that not only came with 12 but also anything from previous editions like 7. Had I known that I would have stuck with v11.

[QUOTE=Phill;600325 now I cannot access any of the content that was available to me when I last renewed.
    With previous versions all content which was included with that particular version was available regardless of upgrading. Has this situation now changed?[/QUOTE]

yes fraid so

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    by upgrading v11 to 12 that I lose all design gallery online content that not only came with 12 but also anything from previous editions like 7. Had I known that I would have stuck with v11.
    That should not be the case. v12 should be a seperate install like all the others. I'll look into it further to see what I can find out for you Phill
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not delete v11.

I'm not certain, but I think you can copy something from v11 and paste it into a newer version. Worth a try.

Xara might just as well have gone the way of Adobe with leasing as the only option. An apt analogy would be that were I to buy a book on a technical subject and the publisher came out with an updated version with new info I would have the choice of trashing the book I already bought and purchasing the later version which contained the previous content along with new up to date content. That should be my choice as, I may be happy with the first book or decide to dump it in favor of progress and newer info. What is the difference with software, as that is also copyrighted material which, like a book, one buys outright?

Xara are getting too greedy and penny-pinching. I have upgraded several times, but will no longer do so, now I know that any upgrade will be stripped of content a year later. From an ethical standpoint, it stinks, and from a business standpoint, it makes no sense. I have no doubt that soon they will hobble online content from the earlier versions when they realize that customers like me are no longer upgrading and instead using their older versions.

I intend contacting Magix for a refund of the upgrade price to V12.

Xara are getting too greedy and penny-pinching...

I intend contacting Magix for a refund of the upgrade price to V12.
    So Just to clear the waters here:

We (Xara) are pretty much now just developers, Magix handle the sales (including the licensing) marketing of Xara products. This has been in place since October(?) last year: https://help.xara.com/article/2-new-...sktop-products

There's also all the details here: http://shared.xara.com/diNpZUgi2O/ . Someone did a nifty little easy to read chart but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

You can download all the content locally so even if your update service expires, you can use any of the content (to do this simply right-click a folder in the Designs Gallery > Download All)

I don't like it myself but a year after purchasing you get access to the designs, support and updates to the product (and hosting if you've got Premium or Pro). You don't have to renew your update service and you'll still be able to download and unlock the version you brought forever.

Personally speaking - you wouldn't get a refund after a year you've received and used these services and content.

Happy to help or explain anything if it doesn't make sense

Also Gary - even if you uninstall V11, you can always re-install and unlock it at anytime. Downloads can be found here still under the section "Previous Versions": http://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/download/

Thanks
    Rob

Rob's explanation is in line with what I originally thought, i.e., that all content which was included in any particular version is available without time limit or further upgrade. I attach screenshots showing the available design Gallery in V12 when expanded. Also screenshots of v11 showing content available and another one showing expanded content of print and web items.IOn other words v11 still has ALL the content available, whereas v12 does not, and any attempt to expand the list just brings up their webpage inviting me to pay for an upgrade.
    It seems that the explanation is correct only as regards earlier versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Designer Pro X11 - DesGall  wioth 2 themes expanded.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	122302  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry. please ignore the 2 pdf attachments.The png one shows Design Gallery in V11. I am attaching the other 2 missing png's

Name:	Xara Designer Pro X - Designs Gallery Comntent.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	122305  

Sorry. please ignore the 2 pdf attachments.The png one shows Design Gallery in V11. I am attaching the other 2 missing png's
    v12 Gallery attachment

Name:	Xara Designer Pro X - Designs Gallery Content.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	122307  

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Someone did a nifty little easy to read chart but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Rob, I assume it is Jonopen's: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...590#post599590.

If you like imagery, think playing soccer with a deflated ball.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat