Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can I go back to V12

I have been using WD V15 and have many problems. The program keeps crashing, my.web file keeps saving as zero bytes with no data. I have raised a ticket with Xara and they are aware of this problem and have said they are working on it and an update should hopefully be out in a couple of weeks.

Is it OK to go back to V12 while I wait for this update, now I have used V15 and saved my website in V15?

A word of advise to anybody using V15. Make sure you have a backup of your data all the time, otherwise you could loose everything.

Default Re: Can I go back to V12

Quote Originally Posted by ianzzz5 View Post
    I have been using WD V15 and have many problems. The program keeps crashing, my.web file keeps saving as zero bytes with no data. I have raised a ticket with Xara and they are aware of this problem and have said they are working on it and an update should hopefully be out in a couple of weeks.
    Is it OK to go back to V12 while I wait for this update, now I have used V15 and saved my website in V15?
    A word of advise to anybody using V15. Make sure you have a backup of your data all the time, otherwise you could loose everything.
    Ian, the download links for v12 are towards the page bottom: https://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer/download/.

Now, I have v15 & v12 co-existing on the same machines. Both use the same Serial number.
    Open Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 and record that somewhere.

If you are ultra cautious use Help > Deactivate program in the v15 instance first.
    Install and register v12 then reactivate v15.

I would keep both installed as you will now find out about the Xara update to v15 through just the v12 application.
    Another good reason to use and visit TG.

It is interesting to hear Xara has a known bug with v15 in saving files with zero bytes. Not good.
    I have not had this since v11.
    My solution is to keep my Xara Backups active and work form my XAR/WEB files in a Dropbox folder. This gives me belt and braces as my work is important to me.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ian, the download links for v12 are towards the page bottom: https://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer/download/.

Now, I have v15 & v12 co-existing on the same machines. Both use the same Serial number.
    Open Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 and record that somewhere.

If you are ultra cautious use Help > Deactivate program in the v15 instance first.
    Install and register v12 then reactivate v15.

I would keep both installed as you will now find out about the Xara update to v15 through just the v12 application.
    Another good reason to use and visit TG.

It is interesting to hear Xara has a known bug with v15 in saving files with zero bytes. Not good.
    I have not had this since v11.
    My solution is to keep my Xara Backups active and work form my XAR/WEB files in a Dropbox folder. This gives me belt and braces as my work is important to me.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

I still have V12 installed on my computer and still activated. I know I can still use V12 but didn’t know if my .web file which has now been opened and saved in V15 can now be used in V12 without any problems.

I also use Dropbox to backup my .web file and also backup the backup now after every save. A lot of work but I can’t trust WD anymore. I really don’t think it should have been released yet.

Thanks,

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by ianzzz5 View Post
    Hi Acorn,
    I still have V12 installed on my computer and still activated. I know I can still use V12 but didn’t know if my .web file which has now been opened and saved in V15 can now be used in V12 without any problems.
    I also use Dropbox to backup my .web file and also backup the backup now after every save. A lot of work but I can’t trust WD anymore. I really don’t think it should have been released yet.
    Thanks, Ian.
    Ian, the one good thing Xara seems to handle well is backward compatibility.
    A v15 design will open in v12.
    You may get a nag screen stating the file was created in a later version but that, rarely, stops it working fully.
    Clearly, Smart Shapes introduced into v15 might not work as their code to function would not be in the v12 executable.

Clone the design file and try.
    If it is a duffer, you can still use the v15 one.

On the bug aspect, I have been hammering v15 and have found very few instabilities.
    The usual tagline put out is to run once as Adminstrator but I have assumed you have done this already.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 08 March 2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You will get a message in 12 that the file you are opening was created in a newer version and some features may not be supported. But once you open and save the document you will not see this message again and with the exception v15 features which probably won't work, everything else should be fine.

Thanks. Will make a backup and give it a go.