Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Original Color in Images

I often edit a photo with the Color Editor to change the look of an image, but there are times I would like to revert back to the original color again later. Is this possible?

Default Re: Original Color in Images

Xara is non destructive so I just pop the original back onto the work area if I decide I've made a mistake and want to revert. There's always the undo button if you haven't previously closed and reopened the page.

Thank you, but I meant "later" after it saves and closes. I have a WD file saved where I edit photos into a portrait and if it's replacing a black and white photo it stays black and white and not colorized. So if I want the photo in color I have to start over with the shape, faded edges, size, etc. Maybe it would be easier to understand to view the end results here... These were created in WD and exported as a jpg.https://www.etsy.com/shop/PixelJuices

There is also the Compare button. Any changes you have made with the Enhance settings will be removed if you click Compare. And if you click Compare again, the changes you made will show again.

Undo only works during the current session and depends upon how many other undoes you have performed. But as long as you don't make the changes permanent (e.g. make bitmap copy, or convert to editable shapes) the Compare will work tomorrow or next week or next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	125483  

when I have a bitmap in a state I may wish to revert to I usually export at the resolution I am working with so I can import and replace as necessary [an alternative, which may not be suitable for websites, is to make a bitmap copy, again at working resolution, and place off working area on pasteboard]

That said, I don't know if these options are suitable for what you do, it depends on whether you save time and work when replacing the bitmap you wish to revert from by the export/copy, as opposed to starting again with a new one
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Original Color in Images

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    I often edit a photo with the Color Editor to change the look of an image, but there are times I would like to revert back to the original color again later. Is this possible?
    I don't know what I am missing here. Xara doesn't destroy anything of the original so the original should still be in the Bitmap gallery after modification, saving, closing & re-opening. Simply drag it onto the design page.

If I am wrong, there is a setting under XDPX (not XWD(P)) Utilities > Options > Photo Editing > Photo Editing: tick Preserve original in... Masters subfolder as .xar or original. This kicks in for the Blank photo template, not general editing of images in a design.
    A manual approach for all applications is to right-click on the original in the Bitmap gallery and Save off to a safe place, before closing or saving the design file.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 01 November 2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I didn't think the gallery save option was in WD, so i didn't mention it

as for the gallery itself - yes, but not if you really have changed your mind and have meantime deleted it, no - once you close then it is gone

if it is really important save it out - data you only have one copy of is data you don't care about and all that...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I will just make it a point to remember to save the orginal image off to the side of the page or on a separate page. This works just fine as long as I remember to do it. I was just wondering if there was a setting in the Color editing box that I was missing to go back to an unccolerized uncropped photo.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I didn't think the gallery save option was in WD, so i didn't mention it
    It actually does work in XWD(P).

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    as for the gallery itself - yes, but not if you really have changed your mind and have meantime deleted it, no - once you close then it is gone
    Try as I did yesterday, close my application and re-opening kept the original in the gallery. Not today, though, so thank you for getting to a clearer position.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    I will just make it a point to remember to save the orginal image off to the side of the page or on a separate page. This works just fine as long as I remember to do it. I was just wondering if there was a setting in the Color editing box that I was missing to go back to an unccolerized uncropped photo.
    It is probably the worst thing you could do to save the master image in a file that could get corrupted, unless you can rely on its prior backups. The publish time will be slower and the memory used to keep such a large .XAR / .WEB file working is not the way to go. If these images are important and unique, you need to store them separate from Xara and your machine; mine are in the Cloud.

Acorn