Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does PSP have that Xara doesn't?

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this post.

I have been looking for specific tutorials to make scrapbook elements and papers. For the most part I have been able to create everything in Xara with the help of the board. However, there are still some things that are just a little off when I try to create them. Part of the problem is the tools in Xara are named differently than the tools in PSP and I am guessing as to which ones to use when following the tutorials.

Is it possible to come up with a tool comparison chart ? This might be too much to ask, if so sorry.

I just don't want to break down and buy Photo Shop. I can't believe that Xara isn't able to produce what I need.

Thanks for any help,

Jen

Default Re: What does PSP have that Xara doesn't?

I use them both Jen. Couldn't do without either one to tell you the truth.

Right now I use Corel PSP XI (recently upgraded from 9.) There are some things in PSP that are just easier, quicker to do, probably because I'm used to doing it that way.

Since I made PSP XI the bitmap editor for Xara Xtreme, it's not a problem if I want to do some bitmap work to double click and open up PSP XI and send it back to Xara Xtreme - quite nice actually.

I think that the developers would agree, that some things are done more easily in bitmap programs and I have never heard them (Xara Developers) discourage the use of Bitmap programs on this forum.

The accumulated picture tubes and paint brushes I have make it well worth having, along with all the built-in effects and the preview dialog boxes that give you so many options, the ideas are endless.

It took me about six months to get use to Xara Xtreme coming from a bitmap only crowd. Even then I was unsure about how to do things. But the more I used it, the more I became addicted to it. It is the first graphics program I open up when I start a new project, because it is so much easier to draw out an idea in Xara Xtreme than any bitmap program. I even use it to start ideas for 3D projects.

BTW, in my 3D programs, I can use PSP as my bitmap editor and since Xara Xtreme is tied to that, I can do a lot!

It all boils down to what kind of artist you are and how you like doing it.

Me? I'm a hammer, saw and ruler type of guy - vector graphics suit me. Some artists are a pallet knife, brush, chalk, pencil, spray paint, masking kind of person.

I use both programs and wouldn't ever change it.

This is perhaps a good place to draw attention to this thread entitled: "What is the absolute relevance of bitmap editors?"

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    ...Is it possible to come up with a tool comparison chart?
    Bitmap editors work differently than vector editors, so even though some tools may work similarly, there are some that don't, and that's just the nature of the game.

...For the most part I have been able to create everything in Xara with the help of the board. However, there are still some things that are just a little off when I try to create them. Part of the problem is the tools in Xara are named differently than the tools in PSP and I am guessing as to which ones to use when following the tutorials.
    I think you are probably best off continuing to ask on the boards when you come across the little quirks. The members are far more helpful when getting to understand the vector approach than knowing a tool comparison chart would be.

Have you tried Gary's tutorials?

Best wishes,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
    Me? I'm a hammer, saw and ruler type of guy - vector graphics suit me. Some artists are a pallet knife, brush, chalk, pencil, spray paint, masking kind of person.

I use both programs and wouldn't ever change it.
    James that's a great analogy - love it
    Last edited by handrawn; 19 June 2007 at 06:39 AM. Reason: helps to get the quote right - oops
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Jen, additionally to Xhris's link, you can read here what the essential difference is between bitmap (often so call raster) and vector graphics:

This is how Photoshop works (raster):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics

This is how Xara Works (vector):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am still new to the graphics world and this helps greatly. I didn't even realize the two programs were so different. It might explain why I felt I was trying to put a square bolt into a round hole.

I have to admit I am a bit intimidated to try PSP. It has taken me 6 months to feel comfortable with Xara, and I am worried that learning PSP will be like learning a foreign language. I never did well in my Spanish class.

I wonder if I can create PSP effects with the programs I already have. I downloaded Inkscape and purchased Art Rage. Are either of these programs considered bitmap programs? Probably not. Oh well, guess I'll have to save up for PSP.

Thanks,

Jen

Jen,

PSP is Paint Shop Pro by Corel (formerly by Jasc) cost $79.99

PS is Photoshop by Adobe and cost $649.00

PSP can do many of the same things that PS can do, but is more reasonably priced.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    ...I downloaded Inkscape and purchased Art Rage. Are either of these programs considered bitmap programs?...
    ArtRage is a bitmap program, but you will not be able to do many of the things you can do with PS. Perhaps you can think of it as 'PS is a general bitmap editor and drawing tool, whereas ArtRage is a pretty much just a bitmap drawing tool.' ArtRage won't allow you to do masking and other per-pixel operations, as well as a bunch more. But ArtRage is cool!, especially for the price.

For a free alternative, check out The Gimp, for another package that is more comparable to PS. It doesn't have all of PS's capabilities, (nor even as much as PSP) but you can pixel edit to your hearts content.

David
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 19 June 2007 at 02:24 PM.

There is actually a variation of Gimp, called GimpShop.

It was made to simulate the Interface and the methodology of PhotoShop and it is of course, free.